Permission for new layout! Time to get planning

jhock

Thanks guys, I like the plan Ray.

As much as I like dock side layouts it is not quite what I am after with this layout, I am looking a for rural feel, I have a bit of thing for the timber industry hence wanting to have wood chip and timber loading.

However I am open to suggestion, I can see that the small nature of the layout would lend itself to an urban setting. I am going to make a start on the boards as soon as I can so I can layout some track templates and get feel for how it will look.

Have you seen Doctor Quinn's "Wheelock Mill"...? It is also set in Vermont, and features a timber loading spur and a Paper Mill, the structures for which provide a convenient industrial backdrop in an otherwise rural setting.

Have you seen Doctor Quinn's "Wheelock Mill"...? It is also set in Vermont, and features a timber loading spur and a Paper Mill, the structures for which provide a convenient industrial backdrop in an otherwise rural setting.

Not seen that one, I found a couple of images using google, looks good.

I like the idea of the barge, but not sure I could do it justice in the space I have, it looks like the barge was quite away from any industry and it could be hard to work it it with looking crowded in the space I have.

As I said way to many choices!

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

I've been watching this one from a distance...

Anyway, depending on how the layout is to work - a couple of possible suggestions...

Google Map link

https://maps.google.....64,143.617,0,0

Perma Treat Industries - a subsiduary company of Pan Am/Guilford Railroad.

post-6887-0-34194900-1348601061_thumb.jpg

Key

Solid white lines = existing railroad tracks

Dotted white lines = lifted tracks

Perma Treat is the industry that is still rail served.

Loads in - Timber

Loads out - Sleepers

The industry that is no longer rail served (with what appears to have been a loading bay track alongside the building - was engineering products - still trying to find out exactly what.

The other industry is hard to tell if it was actually rail served and there have been additional buildings erected since the tracks were lifted.

It appears that this track may have gone even further but it isn't possible to tell from the images due to changes in the roiads. A little further south along the possible track route there is another industry that appears to have repairs to the tarmac area that indicate it was rail served at some time.

Anyway - just ideas....

Thanks

There are some great pictures on railpictures.net

http://www.railpictu...d=354670&nseq=3

Without wanting to get into the position of personal trumpet bloowing, if you like the above photo why bother with the actual industries? This was the result of a bit of lateral-thinking about Inglenooks and the space taken by the turnouts in Micro-layouts http://www.railroad-...54&whichpage=10 starting at the fifth post down. Remember that this was built for a specific competition ie- it had to be made so that it collapsed and fitted into a shoebox, however there is no good reason why it can't be made in a manner that would allow it to fit into the format and size that was originally described. The advantages are that ANY suitable style of car can be used , the sidings and buildings for the industries are not required, and the "Float-barge" traverser could be motor driven, using a threaded rod drive below the barge and tug, so that it is totally hidden. The float can be arranged to hold a suitable number of cars for a 3:2:2 or 5:3;3 inglenook by having fixed, non-movable carsat the ends of two tracks, destined for other communities on the lake

Just another choice to add to all the other possibilities! :scratchhead:

Thanks Jack,

That is great concept for a layout, but I have been playing around with various ideas and I think your idea of Hull Oakes is coming out on top.

I am going to make it with quite long sidings so the lead I track will be quite short so I will have to make use of the fiddle stick, but I can make the fiddle stick 55 inches long so it will allow for quite long trains.

I watched the videos on you tube last night and was sold, I had seen them before but they are great. So now I need to buy a Caboose!

Archived