HST on NSE

witherbrow

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

i keep remembering from some distant part of my mind that once upon a time NSE were looking at using short HST sets on some of their routes

does anybody know what ideas they had and when this was?

kind regards - Ash

IIRC this was one of the options considered when NSE were considering what to do about their Waterloo - Exeter service, at the time provided by unreliable class 50 & 47 locos and rather tired rolling stock. I don't think the idea actually got very far - for one thing I carn't imagine InterCity would let go of their valuable HSTs unless they were replaced by something better (which would defffinatley cost more than small fleet of DMUs).

In the end however the problem was actually solved by the 90s recession (i.e. less passengers) and the late deliveries of the class 158 units for Regional Railways. This combined with NSEs agrement to take over the remaining non intercity services from Oxford - Worcester / Hereford and Banbury - Birmingham (and add a few more turbos to their order) meant RR was able to spare 66 vehicles to make up the 159 fleet

(Note:- because the turbos were built to GW loading guage they were too wide for use on the LSWR route)

• RMweb Gold

I thought Broad Gauge went in about 1890?? :O

Not entirely - the narrow gauge concerns only managed to enforce a change to the distance between the rails, the structure gauge remained (and in many places still does of course). Alas I sometimes get the impression that some of the narrowistas are still around and remain jealous of the benefits of a bit more shoulder room.

• RMweb Premium

There was at the time an edition of the Highway code that under the Level Crossings section showed a drawing of a level crossing with visible on it the side of an HST power car in NSE blue white and grey!!

Archived