Railfreight livery wagons

I don't supppose anyone knows how wide the red stripe at the top of red railfreight livery wagons is meant to be? I can't seem to find any painting charts/livery diagrams online anywhere.

Random googling to find an image brings me up this: http://www.modelfair.com/product/59829/Bachmann-38-120b-35ton-vaa-box-van-railfreight-redgrey-weathered

• RMweb Premium

It varried between wagon types.

Vans (like the model in your link) had a wide stripe that covered two or three panels. Open wagons would have a stripe that covered a similar number of planks. All metal sided opens tended to be all red. Steel carrying wagons had minimal red body work as they had minimal body work!

Best to compare to photos.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

I wasn't sure if there were 'design specs' that specified how wide the stripe should be on those type of vans. Not currently looking for information on open wagons etc.

Plenty of pictures on Paul Bartlett's site such as http://paulbartlett....35620#h2bc35620 which are this particular wagon I'm doing (the ex Vanwides),but the only thing I can do is count rivets :) as there does seem to be a common point just above the first rivet on the diagonal strap on the sides.

I was hoping that I could be lazy and get a masking tape the right width, then spray the top part of the sides and all the ends red, then mask off the stripe at the top and ends, and spray the rest of the wagon in grey.

I wasn't sure if there were 'design specs' that specified how wide the stripe should be on those type of vans. Not currently looking for information on open wagons etc.

Plenty of pictures on Paul Bartlett's site such as http://paulbartlett....35620#h2bc35620 which are this particular wagon I'm doing (the ex Vanwides),but the only thing I can do is count rivets :) as there does seem to be a common point just above the first rivet on the diagonal strap on the sides.

I was hoping that I could be lazy and get a masking tape the right width, then spray the top part of the sides and all the ends red, then mask off the stripe at the top and ends, and spray the rest of the wagon in grey.

You are right, a lot the vans are red as far down as the first diagonal strap rivet, but look later on the picture stream, several only have a narrower red band just deep enough to put the railfreight logo on. Not nearly a prototype for everything, but it gives you at least 2 chances of finding the right size masking tape.

cheers

Quick question, how would you paint this livery? It's quite simple but I'm wondering how best to do it.

My first thought is to prime, then red on the top of the sides and each end, allow to dry, mask off, then spray grey over the remainder of the sides.

But what would be best for primer, grey or red oxide? I'm just wondering if I do red oxide on the ends and grey primer on the sides, whether the 'density' of the red stripe on the sides might be affected. Or is it a case of a quick blast of red oxide for the ends and top of the sides then spray the red paint, then after masking prime the uncovered part of the sides with a quick coat of grey then when dry finish off with the grey sides?

for all the Railfreight wagons I resprayed , I undercoat in halfords acrylic grey primer, then spray railfreight red on sides and ends. allow to dry, mask with tamiya tape and maskol, then spray the grey. I use railmatch enamals. A mix of tamiya German grey and black for roofs,sealed with johnsons clear .

Bachmann VBA

post-512-0-10756000-1348505655_thumb.jpg

Steve

I've never seen a model of one with a red roof but of course that doesn't say one never existed. I just haven't found a photo of it yet.

I think in this case I'll stick with a grey/black roof in the absence of further information - sadly most of the pictures I seem to be able to find are taken from ground level meaning roof detail is rare or non-existant.

I've never seen a model of one with a red roof but of course that doesn't say one never existed. I just haven't found a photo of it yet.

I think in this case I'll stick with a grey/black roof in the absence of further information - sadly most of the pictures I seem to be able to find are taken from ground level meaning roof detail is rare or non-existant.

There are several VEAs on Paul Bartletts site that appear to have a red tinge to the roof. Looking at the coversion date

and the date Paul took the photo most of them pictured within months of conversion so Pugsleys explanation may be right.

To try and find pictures with a better view of the roof look for a shot of a train with VEAs in.

Look for a train from Glascoed, Fenny Compton, Eastriggs, Longtown, or Bicester for example.

I have found a decent one of 37255 working 6A25 from Glascoed to Severn Tunnel Junction on Flickr

but I am to thick to link it.

Here is one of mine, it's not so clear but you get the idea:-

post-7081-0-52352700-1348571844_thumb.jpg

37256 working the daily Fishguard - Severn Tunnel Junction Air Brake Service at Pyle,

the VEAs have probably come from the MOD at Trecwn, 12/11/85

cheers

Something like this one?

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

It's a big image but I still can't make up my mind whether they're red roofs covered in grime, or dark grey roofs covered in grime. Certainly red on the ends of the roof though.

Yes that's the one, none of the roofs are very dark grey but it's still a dilemna,

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

In the absence of any definitive evidence one way or the other, I sprayed the roof red last night - and with a light coat of weathering/crud wash I think it'll end up looking rather like the photo :)

Red is now complete, will give it another 24 hours to dry then I'll mask up and do the grey. I wonder whether a light spray of primer over the unmasked red before I apply the grey might help?

In the absence of any definitive evidence one way or the other, I sprayed the roof red last night - and with a light coat of weathering/crud wash I think it'll end up looking rather like the photo :)

Red is now complete, will give it another 24 hours to dry then I'll mask up and do the grey. I wonder whether a light spray of primer over the unmasked red before I apply the grey might help?

Grey over the red should cover fine, especially if using Railmatch. I'm just doing a Bachmann 7mm HEA (though it's coded as a RNA for use as a nuclear flask barrier).

Who's kit is the VEA Cromptonnut?

Yes, I have Railmatch paints, ready to spray the first grey cover tonight. Probably another coat after the weekend, then transfers, reassemble and weathering.

It's actually the Skytrex "Vanwide" (which many became VEA's under TOPS) which I'm repainting. Perhaps not 100% accurate but it's good enough for me, and it's my first 'real' repaint (and O gauge wagon) using an airbrush. I'll stick a picture up when it's finished but it may be some time as obviously this time of the year the weather isn't entirely condusive to airbrushing so I have to do it indoors and my wife isn't a great fan of breathing in the fumes.

Archived