Combining Alex Jackson hooks with Sprat and Winkle mechanism for couplings

At ExpoEM North last weekend I got talking to Chris Lamacraft, he of the EM gauge Hemyock layout. I noticed that he has Alex Jackson hooks with three link droppers with the lowest loop magnetic. On enquiring he helpfully showed me that he'd combined the pivot plate of a Sprat and Winkle coupling with the hook/release device of the AJ. The result was that the appearance was improved as you had links but lost the bar of the Sprat and Winkle, and lost the necessity to have multiple reverses to give delayed action uncoupling.

Now I have a large supply of S&W stuff of the old style (before delayed action) so I can experiment. As far as it goes the coupling/uncoupling geometry is the same as the AJ. Apparently is it sensitive to centering, so I'll look at the stuff that John Darch (killybegs of this parish) showed me from his Clinkerford layout.

Question is - has anyone else done this?

John

Just a word of caution if using a magnetic bottom link. You will need to ensure that the magnet used is of sufficient strength to 'grab' the link, which inevitably will have a small surface area. Using 3-link couplings to act as the dropper is not really recommended for AJ Couplings for this reason. However, did Chris tell you what he was using as he has obviously got it to work OK? Also, I wouldn't try blackening too many coupling hooks at once as you will probably find blackening them actually makes them more visible from most viewing angles!

Regards

Tony

Archived