Position light signals

Hi everyone :)

I've been looking around, but I can't find anything.

Is it possible to buy just a position light for shunting moves, and attach it to a un-modified signal?

The reason im asking, is I'd like to keep to one manufacturer of signals (traintronics) for my layout, and they don't sell any position light signals as far as I'm aware

Cheers,

Matt

Eckon do (or did) a kit for a position light to add to their signals.

Keith

It's ref. ES24, and costs about a tenner.

Equally interesting, but sadly no longer available, was their illuminated ground disc / dolly disc (ES25?) which, being fixed in the danger position, could only display a red light, but I wonder whether anyone on the Forum bought them when in production, and could they be made to revolve to show "proceed"?

One of Eckon's recent adverts in RM suggested that the entire business was up for sale. Anyone know what's happening there in Clacton?

• RMweb Gold

Eckon ES 24 is a ground position light signal mounted on what looks like an NER(egion) pattern concrete base mounting. Whether it can be adapted for post mounting as a subsidiary signal I don't know but it would clearly need some substantial surgery including removal of the base part plus getting rid of one lens unit.

... Whether it can be adapted for post mounting as a subsidiary signal I don't know but it would clearly need some substantial surgery including removal of the base part plus getting rid of one lens unit.

I've had a look at my sample ES24. It wouldn't just need substantial surgery, but would cause difficulty since the LEDs are actually buried in the base, and their light output goes up via fibre optic-style light guides into the head....

Thanks for the replies guys,

Would it not be possible to almost bend the hood over the LED, and then not wire up the left 'on' bulb? After removing the base of course. Although it says on the Eckon website that it can be used mounted below the signal, so there must be a way to effectively alter it

...Would it not be possible to almost bend the hood over the LED, and then not wire up the red aspect?

No, because PLSs only have the two lights. You'd have to cut off the hood and then find some way of filling over the void vacated by the red.

After removing the base of course. Although it says on the Eckon website that it can be used mounted below the signal, so there must be a way to effectively alter it

You still have to get round the problem of the fibre-optics. It would probably be easier to mount SMD LEDs within the head moulding itself and then run the wiring down from there.

Eckon do (or did) a kit for a position light to add to their signals
It's ref. ES24, and costs about a tenner.

Well, no it isn't, the correct Eckon item for this is EA9, 2-light post mount call-on head kit which was £3.53 when I bought mine.

I haven't actually used it yet and can't find it either, I only found the empty packet.

I'll search it out after Scaleforum and see how useable it is.

Regards

Keith

Archived