Hornby Fowler 2-6-4 Rear Bogies ?

amdaley

Hello Everyone.

Can anyone please tell me the difference between a modified rear bogie for these locos & the original bogie ?

Is it just the added nem coupler pockets ?

The reason I ask is because I have a 2003 R2224 version & was thinking of fitting pickups to the rear bogie to improve performance ?

Thanks.

Unless weight is added to the bogie from the body, I would not do that. All you're going to achieve is to put 'brakes' on some free running wheels - assuming you would use wiper contacts. However if their is an adhesive weight from the body then I see no problem, just make sure their contact is very light.

Hope that helps.

Mike

If it was my loco, I'd replace the leading and trailing bogie wheels with "one side live" wheelsets from Markits. (It's possible to do your own shorting of one wheel to the axle, but it's a bit tricky to do this without introducing a wobble.)

On the leading truck I'd make sure the truck frame was securely grounded to the main frame, e.g. using thin flexible wire. I'd insulate the rear bogie from the main frame by whatever means is appropriate for the chassis of that vintage (e.g. replacing some metal attachment part with plastic) and then connect the bogie electrically to the other side of the main electrics. The live wheels on the rear bogie go on the other side to the live wheels on the leading truck, obviously.

This arrangement should give enough wheel/track contacts for reliable running, without adding any wipers.

Of course, this depends on having metal trucks and bogies. If they are plastic, some more fiddling would be needed, i.e. fitting brass bushes for axle bearings and attaching wires to them.

I've used this scheme on my Dublo 2-6-4T, with success.

Archived