What is this trackside equipment?

Jim Martin

Stopped for some considerable time between Bank Hall and Sandhills yesterday, I was able to photograph this bit of trackside equipment:

post-263-0-91854300-1348622433_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the photo: it's a phone camera shot through a window in less-than-ideal conditions.

Please could someone tell me what it is? The only other thing nearby is a flange oiler, which I don't think can have anything to do with this. Thanks

Jim

It's the solar panel for the flange lubricator which will be one of the electrically operated variety - puts a small amount of grease out at regular interval rather than relying on train operation - I'm guessing this is a goods loop or similar. The cage is to prevent it being nicked - the pikies just love these for their caravans. Looks like it is suffering from the normal NR maintenance regime.

Well you learn something new every day. I didn't realise there was such a thing as a powered flange lubricator. I assumed they were generally driven by some sort of treadle arrangement.

This track is actually the northbound Liverpool - Southport line. It's normally used by four trains per hour, all 3- or 6-car EMUs. Just beyond this point there's a speed-restricted (35mph?) curve. What sort of factors influence the decision about whether to use an electrically-powered or train-driven installation?

Jim

Ah - alternatively - too many trains would produce too much grease from repeated flange operation so this will be a way to regulate it - certainly we used such devices in the Waterloo area. Similar arrangements are in use for traction gel application during leaf-fall. These can also be powered by lineside wind-turbines.

Very interesting! Thanks a lot. After reading your last comment, I had a look at the flange lubricator at the south (Liverpool) end of Waterloo station:

post-263-0-61647800-1348736449_thumb.jpg

This has the same service frequency as the one in the OP. There's no sign of a power source there: could it be powered by a "mains" source (quotes because I don't know whether the railway has its own supply)? Alternatively, there is some between-tracks gubbins on the approach to the station, about 200 yards before the lubricator. Some of it must be the AWS for the signal, but I think there's more than one bit of kit in the four-foot. Could that be activating the lubricator? I mentioned treadles above, but on reflection that seems a bit "old school" and I was thinking that some kind of magnet actuated by the passage of a train might be how it's done these days

Jim

I think the mechanical lubricators are operated by the wheels operating a plunger that squeezes a little bit of grease out onto the passing flange, which then (in theory) carries it along the rail so there is lubrication for some distance down the line.

From Southernman's comments I guess the electric one releases grease less frequently but must rely on the same principle to get it spread out.

I also think JM and Southernman may not be talking about the same Waterloo!

But mine was electrified first :boast:!

Thanks very much indeed for the information. My planned layout will be based on an urban junction; and since model railway curves are unprototypically sharp anyway, I was thinking of modelling the diverging line as speed-restricted and (now I know about it) with a flange lubricator too.

Jim

But mine was electrified first :boast:!

Jim

Before 1916 :dontknow: ?? - which was the first LSWR scheme.

Don't forget to model the empty grease cans thrown into the undergrowth by the Lub gang - I ended up threatening mine with DP if they continued to do it........ :devil:

The Lancashire & Yorkshire may not be the most glamourous of pre-grouping companies but it was a real pioneer in electrification.

I was looking at some manufacturers' websites to get an idea of how lubricators work. Are these made by Portec? Theirs looked most like the one I photographed at Waterloo (Mersey) (that's what it's called on tickets).

<edit to correct spelling error born of tying on phone touchscreen>

Archived