Double Snow Plows

By calling the loco a J94, I assume you mean a BR machine? Very few industrial systems had provision for ploughs so far as I know (few had the route mileage to justify them). In which case, is this part of the forum really the place? You might well get a better response (you will certainly achieve greater visibility) posting in the prototype questions forum. If the photo is published, a book title/page reference might help, if not, posting it here might (copyright issues permitting). certainly tank engines were occasionally used for plough duties - 3F tanks on the Somerset and Dorset, for example.

Anyway,in terms of parts from the trade, I don't think that anything is available (in 4mm scale at least) except possibly spare ploughs from a class 60 diesel and I've no idea whether these would be even an approximate match. It is possible that they might: bufferbeam mounted ploughs were mounted to 8Fs and Tim Shackleton used LIMA class 60 plough to represent one of these which looked about right.

Adam

I think some Austerity 0-6-0s were built/modified for ploughs when they were WD machines - 'Our' Austerity (at the Pontypool & Blaenavon) has additional holes on the front bufferbeam, which I understand were for the fitting of a snowplough. It's the general opinion that this would have been when it was a WD machine.

I can see if I can dig out a photo if anyone wants to see.

Mark

Archived