Cambrian Signals

I am building a model of (based on) Llanfyllin, in the late 30's although eventually I hope to be able to run trains from throughout its lifetime.

The information I have is that the original Cambrian Signalling was carried out by Dutton and Co. The box has a 14 lever frame, 13 & 14 being spare. there are 3 signal posts. A starter on the end of the platform near the cattle dock and an advanced starter just before the bridge carrying Derywllan road over the branch. (at this point it is double track, but shortly after the bridge reverts to Single Track, points operated by lever frame locked by tablet)

The third tall post (ladder has 34 or 35 rungs)has two signals, (this is where my terminology needs help) a Home signal and a shorter arm with a circle to the right hand side of the post which I believe controls access to the cattle dock / engine shed on the left. This post was changed to a bracket later in the branches life under BR. There is a ground signal on the diagram behind this signal which I believe controls the crossover to the loop.

I have a copy of the SRS diagram from an article in February 1978 Model Rail Constructor (although I stand to be corrected on this)

I have photos of all the signals, (though not the ground signals), I don't think I can post any here as they are scans from magazines, DVD, photos and books. They are all square posts with a square cap on top.

My question really concerns the size of the arms, and the spectacle plates. The arms I think are 4ft, but, the spectacle plates do not appear to be the same as the GWR ones I have seen photos of, they seem to be fitted a lot closer to the arm.

One final question. The starter is situated on the platform with the cattle pens between the Signal box and the Signal post; it is set back between 4 and 5 ft from platform edge (depending on length of arm) On one photo there appears to be a pulley about 2/3 the way up the platform face, where would the chain/cable go then@ through a channel or tube to the base of the signal?

I would be happy to send any photos for research purposes, if you can PM me an EMail address

Archived