RMweb

Derby Road, Ipswich

• RMweb Gold

There is a distinct possibility that I may be about to embark on a small (for me) layout project as a distraction from the big projects. The idea is to build a model of Derby Road in South East Ipswich on the Felixstowe branch as it was in the eighties. The layout is very simple, passing loop on a single line, two platforms and a small set of sidings that fed a scrapyard and a coal terminal, all with semaphore signalling.

For me this would be a quicky project as it is essentially flat baseboards and would fit in 12'x2' (not counting fiddle yards which are going to be a shared set with other projects) I already have ALL the stock needed for it, all I don't have is any photos of it as it was before the sidings got ripped out. I worked trains down there in the 80s so it is very much a 'going home' scheme.

Does anyone have any useful information about the site as it was, either photos or recomendations of books that contain anything useful?

Andi

• Like 1

Andi

There a new book out on Ipswich-Felixstowe line with both b&w and colour photos from Ipswich to Felixstowe, got last week in Ipswich Waterstones. Its called Ipswich to Felixstowe Branch Through Time Andrew T. Wallis Amberley Publishing ISBN 978-1-4456-0766-5 .

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Andi

There a new book out on Ipswich-Felixstowe line with both b&w and colour photos from Ipswich to Felixstowe, got last week in Ipswich Waterstones. Its called Ipswich to Felixstowe Branch Through Time Andrew T. Wallis Amberley Publishing ISBN 978-1-4456-0766-5 .

Ian

That's awesome, just the kind of response I was hoping for! Has it got any photos of Derby Road in the period?

Andi

The Wikipedia entry for Derby Road references Alderson and Kenworthy Branch Lines to Felixstowe and Aldeburgh (Middleton Press 2003) ISBN 1-904474-20-9 H I Quayle and G T Bradbury, The Felixstowe Railway (The Oakwood Press 1978).

Punching the ISBN into Google give a good set of results <<<<linky

I have a couple of other books that may have something interesting too, I'll try & have a look tomorrow for you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Andi

How about the Middleton Press book Branch Lines to Felixstowe and Aldebrugh http://booklaw.co.uk/eshop/product_info.php?cPath=58_143&products_id=1710

It is of no help me saying I lodged in Derby Road and then later in Felixstowe Road over looking the sidings when I went to college in the 1970s. It was in my wine women and song part of life so didn't take much interest, plus it was quicker to catch a trolley to Electric House than to get the train. One like this one http://www.flickr.com/photos/86020500@N06/7905166908/lightbox/

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

There is a distinct possibility that I may be about to embark on a small (for me) layout project as a distraction from the big projects. The idea is to build a model of Derby Road in South East Ipswich on the Felixstowe branch as it was in the eighties. The layout is very simple, passing loop on a single line, two platforms and a small set of sidings that fed a scrapyard and a coal terminal, all with semaphore signalling.

For me this would be a quicky project as it is essentially flat baseboards and would fit in 12'x2' (not counting fiddle yards which are going to be a shared set with other projects) I already have ALL the stock needed for it, all I don't have is any photos of it as it was before the sidings got ripped out. I worked trains down there in the 80s so it is very much a 'going home' scheme.

Does anyone have any useful information about the site as it was, either photos or recomendations of books that contain anything useful?

Andi

The Great Eastern Railway Society Journal 64 October 1990 had a short article on the station and there are track plans etc in H.I. Quayle & G.T. Bradbury book "The Felixstowe Railway" published by The Oakwood Press. The line is also covered in the Vic Mitchell Middleton Press series of books.

Paul

Andi

I have paperwork for the box as it was at closure. I will have box diagram, locking table, dog chart and circuit diagrams if of any use. (I also have the lever frame, all the instruments, relay cabinet and most of the signals).. <G>

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic stuff coming up, this site is just such a huge resource... Thanks so much for the stuff so far, more please! I love that sixties shot, the yard has an intriguing layout then.

Looks like I'm going to have to go book shopping!

Andi

Some of Leyton's finest methinks. A superb piece of work but there is only one way it will go back together... the way it is intended to be. I have three projects on the go with McKenzie and Holland products and two are being relocked with LNER standard locking (Dereham North and Central). So much easier to play with. (Thuxton will be a 4 inch Cam and Tappet) The Derby Road frame was a candidate for Thuxton but is just too small.

post-4034-0-48206200-1348912940_thumb.jpg

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I have paperwork for the box as it was at closure. I will have box diagram, locking table, dog chart and circuit diagrams if of any use. (I also have the lever frame, all the instruments, relay cabinet and most of the signals).. <G>

Do you have any of the token equipment?

Andi

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed. Here is a bit of history for the tokens on the branch..

http://freespace.vir...towe_branch.htm

:no:

We used to bet on the number of the token as we approached Derby Road, whoever was furthest from the number had to make the tea on arrival at Felixstowe...

Andi

• Like 1

The token machines in use between Derby Road and Trimley were rather superb ex LNER Tyers No9 instruments. I have changed their configuration from 'C' to 'A' to reflect their new role as the Ely Dock - Soham instruments, used along with a similarly configured auxiliary pair for remote issue of a key. I have kept one original key as a keepsake plus another with it's plate removed to show the key was originally engraved Derby Road - Orwell.

• Like 1

They are in use in my signalling simulation of Ely. We get to signal some of the same trains today on the instruments that would have passed Derby Road. 4S80 is a regular, Felixstowe - Coatbridge..

I have most of Trimley box tucked away to do something with one day.

I had four keys with the instruments. I don't know what happened to the rest..

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1