Totem station sign colours

I'm about to get some vinyl totems made for my Standedge Tunnel layout fascia, but I'm unsure what colour they should be. The nearest station is Marsden, but I cant find any reference confirming the colour of the totems on the Diggle route - should they be NE orange or midland maroon or some other colour?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Best wishes, Phil.

Interesting question. Standedge Tunnels eastwards fell under the control of the Eastern Region after 1948, so all station west of Standedge got maroon totems, while huts and LNWR signalboxes east of the tunnels were repainted blue and ivory. This makes me wonder if the totems east of Standedge were dark blue also. Some retained LMS mustard and black signs.

Many thanks indeed for this - I had always assumed orange for stations such as Huddersfield, Marsden etc, but it seems that I may be wrong - I guess given that the tunnel is at the 'border' of the regions of control that the choice is mine! Given the BR blue era of the layour perhaps dark blue would look good on the fascia, but it would nice to know for sure what colur totems were at the stations East of Standedge (if of course, as Coachmann suggests, they ever had totems at all) - LMS mustard and black would make a nice fascia sign though I have to confess!!

It's always the little nuggets of information of the type that you seek that are hardest to come by when the hobby is by and large loco centric. I've just been to one website that said they were light green for Eastern Region but then showed a sign that was dark blue.

I'm pretty sure BR must have made a list of lossy stations and missed these off the list for repaint and new totems. Even Greenfield was only partially repainted, with half the station getting dark carmine and cream plus totems and the parts associated ewith the Oldham branch remaining untouched in a sort of smoke-stained crud.

The maroon on that map shows the lines included in the timetable, not just those under LMR control. Hexham is in maroon for example, and that was definately never under LMR control.

It will depend on two fundamentals - the date the NER became part of the ER proper, and the date the former LMS lines east of the Pennines transferred to NER/ER control. Unfortunately I don't know either of those dates, and I suspect the second might be route-specific.

Thanks everyone - some really useful and interesting information here - I guess there is a lesson for us all in in that we probably should move our cameras away from locomotives more often to capture the very rapildy changing railway world around us!! Looks like its orange or maroon then - at least it seems I can get away with whichever of these two colours looks best on the layout signage!

• RMweb Gold

I may be having a memory lapse but I could have sworn that the Huddersfield area was North Eastern Region tangerine.

Huddersfield was very definitely North Eastern Region tangerine for signage, with pale blue/ivory paintwork of course - as were all stations on the NER side of the route although I'm not absolutely certain of the boundary without doing a lot of delving (and the books in which I need to delve are up in the roof - so not tonight folks). The anschluss of the North Eastern and Eastern Regions came in 1967 by which time any signage renewal/change would have come in 'corporate identity' form so I think it very doubtful (to say the least) that Eastern Region dark blue signage ever appeared on the route - wherever the boundary with the LMR was sited.

I'm pretty certain the boundary between the LMR and ER took place almost at the end of the Diggle station platforms closest to the tunnel entrances. Thinking about it, orange totems does sound right. It is the blue and white signalboxes I really remember. The transfer to te Eastern Region must have been shortly after or around nationalization judging by the Great Northern and Gresley coaches in Jim Davenports pictures.

There have been an enormous number of station totems auctioned. So it's usually worth a look on auction sites for this sort of detail. e.g.

http://www.gcrauctio...e138/lot76.html

shows an LMR red Diggle sign. That's not to say there weren't other colours with boundary changes.

Also have a look at the Totem rarity guide whcih has an alphabetical listing in regional colours. The link is to the page for stations starting with D. Slaithwaite on this list is orange.

http://www.railwayan...ty/totems/d.htm

• RMweb Gold

I'm pretty certain the boundary between the LMR and ER took place almost at the end of the Diggle station platforms closest to the tunnel entrances.

That rings a bell with me too - but cannot think where I saw it.

I'm pretty certain the boundary between the LMR and ER took place almost at the end of the Diggle station platforms closest to the tunnel entrances.

Things haven't changed then as the current Sectional Appendix shows the boundary between the LNW and LNE routes is still in existence at the Diggle portal of the tunnel..

• RMweb Gold

1972 & 1979 boundaries were as follows on the two Trans Pennine routes in that neck of the woods -

Standedge Tunnel was ER (Diggle Jcn was first LMR 'box in the 1979 SA).

Neither the 1972 or 1979 SAs give a mileage for the Regional Boundary however the first prs on the ER is shown in Table A as 21 chains east of Diggle Jcn signalbox at the 15 mile post so I would think that was probably the boundary - 11 chains west of the west end of the Standedge Tunnel.

On the northernmost route Weasel Hall Tunnel was ER, and first ER station was Hebden Bridge, Eastwood was LMR.

BR87134/5 lists the 'important' boundary changes 'being made on 2 April 1950' and includes 'All former LMS lines north of Penistone, Darfield and Denaby and east of Diggle, Eastwood and Skipton' to transfer from LMR to NER. So altogether that's about as definitive as it can get I think.

The link is to the page for stations starting with D. Slaithwaite on this list is orange.

That pretty well settles it then...The totems were Orange commencing with Marsden Station, the previous station at Diggle having Maroon totems.

Auction prices amazed me though. I had Colwyn Bay and Abergele totems time plus a LNWR signalbox name off Llysfaen. Bought the latter off BR for £40.00 but disposed of everything in 1987 except the LNWR platform seats from Prestatyn and Abergele stations. :cry:

Well RMweb never ceases to amaze me - I posted a question to which I couldn't find the answer despite several hours or searching online and less than 24 hours later not only is the answer provided, but we now have a wonderfully useful list of stations and totem colours for the whole UK!! Thank you asmay2002 and thank you to all the other RWwebbers who have provided a mass of really interesting and useful material in response to my question - its really very much appreciated and confirms what a wonderful resource and avenue for support and friendship we have in RMweb.

Cheers, Phil.

Archived