silver or grey

as many modern image modelers will know model rail are releaseing east coasts popular 91110 in BBMF livery as well as Hornby Hornby bringing out EC stock but what would everyone on here say is the best colour out there to repaint a mk4 DVT in to east coast liver to go with 91110 and the mk4 stock avalible.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8036/7982135240_124d26f509_z.jpg here is a pic of a EC DVT in the modern silver/grey livery

http://www.Hornby.com/shop/rolling-stock/passenger-rolling-stock/r4541-east-coast-mk4-standard-open-coach/ and hornbys take on the livery

You will be able to get the Flying Scotsman liveried DVT as part of the train pack due to be released in the next couple of months (didn't realise November was classed as 2nd quarter..), which could and probably has run with 91110 in real life, or failing that you could paint one in ex GNER blue with the white stripe. I'm not sure how well you could match the Hornby silver. If you're weathering them you might be able to get away with it though.

Doesn't help that the prototype mk4's and 91's are painted in both silver and grey, as they initially used silver but switched to grey as it was too expensive!! You can see the difference on these photos I took:

91103 in grey with silver mk4s - 91103

91127 in silver with blue mk4s - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ash_3939/6869225358/

yeah but its Hornby in the pics they look more grey that silver a EX GNER one looks like a good starting point. i did see an odd formation on friday while waiting for some 37s with a EX gner DVT, grey mk4s ansd sliver 91 so it could be the best plan of attack. i was just going to use revell 99 i think it but it could be 66 seeing they have not made it very clear but would the silver be to bright? im yet to take the dive in to the deep end with weathering but its on the ever growing to do list :no:

I've got a spare GNER dvt which I was thinking of 'east coasting' - pretty simple job of removing the GNER logo, removing the red stripe and painting a white one in its place. Just need to find some small east coast transfers to go on the stripe. If anyone knows any please let me know.

I live in York so see a lot of the ecml. Ive seen plenty of odd formations - 91101 never seems to run with 82205 and is often hooked up to a set of blue mk4s, same for 91110 whe I saw it the other week. Also saw that same day an all EC liveried set with a blue TSOE and an all blue set with an EC buffet!

• 3 weeks later...

I think that they used a light grey with a hint of pink. It would be a designer's dream to homogenize the logo with the base colour. So 166 light aircraft grey or Tamiya XF-80 with a touch of pink will work.

Regards

Vin

• 3 weeks later...

Worth noting 91111 has been repainted into EC grey now so if you're restricted as to the era you can run it in now as it only carried the national express one-off livery for 2 years or so!

I'm having the same debate as you now, picked up a dirt cheap 91 body on ebay which is sat in modelstrip as we speak... got some silver and grey paint today which looked the closest matches on the tin, but can't decide on a) which colour/number to model and b ) whether to wait for the Hornby EC coaches and try and match the colour to them. My local shop reckons they Flying Scotsman pack will be in first week of December but not sure if the coaches will be as well. I'm going to buy a FO and RFM as they may go out of stock and then wait for the train pack to come down in price, which it will!

• RMweb Gold

I don't know whether there's a problm with carriage washing plants at present but those sets I saw yesterday were all noticably unclean. Particularly in the tapered areas around the doors where there was a visible vertical brown patch on the grey/silver bodyside.

Archived