"Westbury Works" track plan advice

Guest BluePullman21

Guest BluePullman21

Hi all,

Before I begin actual construction on my layout I thought that I'd pass the proposed track plan through here and see what other people have to say about it.

First just a bit of background info on the planned layout:

The viewing side of the layout is made up of two 4ft long boards giving a total length of 8’ x 2’. Being set in current times means all passenger stock is made up of EMUs/DMUs with the longest being a 4-car 350 Desiro (hence the reason behind modelling the platform in half relief).

The scenario is a smallish station located somewhere on the WCML. The double track main line has bi-directional running which enables trains running from either direction to serve the station. A small PW/engineers siding is located adjacent to the station, followed by a headshunt. These sidings run straight onto the main line (see track plan below), which I am unsure about. In reality, would a PW siding run straight onto a main line? Or should I add in a third ‘freight only’ line that the siding merges into?

Any comments/suggestions/thoughts will be much appreciated!

Cheers

William

P.S. Sorry for the crude photo; didn’t have a scanner to hand…

• RMweb Gold

Your track plan is fine, but the bi-directional running on a double track section is unusual for the WCML so I would avoid that - if you use a sector plate, or removable cassettes for the fiddle yard it won't limit your operation.

Why not make the station partially reversible ? - so trains arriving from the left can terminate and return to the left ?

Guest BluePullman21

Hi Beast,

In regards to your last sentence;

Why not make the station partially reversible ? - so trains arriving from the left can terminate and return to the left ?

Just to clarify you mean something like this (?) :

I think this would be my best bet, as I would rather have the one platform than have another placed in between the mainline and the sidings (don't want things looking too cramped - sorry Katier).

Cheers

William

Guest BluePullman21

Hi Paul,

Apologies for the gap between posting.The track plan you have attached above has left me with plenty of ideas to ponder with. If I was going to make one adjustment to the plan it would be to remove the shorter platform so the headshunt needn't bend to make way for said platform.

Looking at the second board (right) the two sidings adjacent to the double track main line reminds me somewhat of the photos taken by Beast here (last 3 photos in first post). Just add a gradient and bend in the line and there you have it!

I hope you don't mind if I save the file onto my computer ? so I can refer to it when I please.

Many thanks for taking your time to help out Paul. :)

Cheers

William

Archived