The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Tube Map Radio

Pugsley

Fancy a working radio with a circuit board that resembles the underground map? :

http://www.shortlist.com/cool-stuff/design/tube-map-radio

http://london-underground.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-tube-map-as-radio-circuit-board.html

The device functions as an FM/AM radio, with the volume knob at Speakers Corner, the tuner control at BBC White City and the option to switch frequencies at London Bridge. The battery is at Battersea Power Station :D

A bit out of date. BBC gone from White City....,

Really !!when did that happen? I've got three meetings with the BBC at White City coming up this week. He doesn't actually show Battersea Power Station as being on the tube network - if you look carefully you can see the tracks from the battery on the other side of the PCB- but it still symbolises electric power even though it hasn't made any for decades. Crystal Palace would have been the ideal location for the aerial (or maybe the BT Tower) but it's probably a bit far out and having to use the Beck diagram to actually be the circuit would have limited him. Given that Harry Beck's map was inspired by circuit diagrams I thought it was clever and good fun.

I don't think the BBC are moving from White City. I was under the impression it was Television Centre that was going?

Not even that, at least not exactly.

News and factual are moving to Broadcasting House with a combined newsroom for domestic radio, television and World Service which moved out of Bush House a few months ago (sniff!!)

Apparently the BBC sold a long lease of Television Centre to Stanhope plc in July for £200M but have kept the freehold which gives them some control of its use and legacy . The central "doughnut" and Studio One are grade II listed so it will remain as a TV studio and production centre but probably not used exclusively by the BBC. What seems to be planned is a mixed development of studios, offices and residential with BBC Worldwide, Studios and Post Production moving back in after it has redeveloped. There are also a lot of BBC offices including production in the White City complex further up Wood Lane while BBC R&I are moving from Kingswood Warren in Surrey (where they've been since WW2) to Centre House, a building very close to Television Centre, with a second "Lab North" in Salford.

• RMweb Gold

Crystal Palace would have been the ideal location for the aerial (or maybe the BT Tower) but it's probably a bit far out and having to use the Beck diagram to actually be the circuit would have limited him.

Hasn't he put it at the more relevant Alexandra Palace?

Given that Harry Beck's map was inspired by circuit diagrams I thought it was clever and good fun.

The first link in the OP says that is a myth.

Andi

Hasn't he put it at the more relevant Alexandra Palace?

Yes you're quite right, he does appear to have put the base of the telescopic aerial there- It was the ferrite rod aerial in the bottom left hand corner that I was looking at

Given that Harry Beck's map was inspired by circuit diagrams I thought it was clever and good fun.

The first link in the OP says that is a myth.

It was circuit diagrams not printed circuit boards- they didn't yet exist- that inspired Beck. At least that's what LT think.

"The striking Tube map that is recognised across the globe was the brainchild of Underground electrical draughtsman, Harry Beck, who produced this imaginative yet stunningly simple design back in 1933. Beck based the map on the circuit diagrams he drew for his day job, stripping the sprawling Tube network down to basics."

So In a way Beck did for the Underground network what he'd been doing in his day job as a circuit diagram is also a clean representation of the usual cat's cradle of wires particularly before the arrival of PCBs.

The printed circuit itself wasn't invented until three years later than Beck's map in 1936 by Paul Eisler an Austrian Jewish refugee from the Nazis living in London. Unfortunately, despite inventing one of the crucial technologies of the 20th century, he never really got much financial return from his patents. There does though seem to be poetic justice in that the first use of his invention was to make possible the proximity fuzes that enabled the Nazis' V1s to be shot down.

Archived