Bisopsteignton Signal Box

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chaps

Can anyone point me in the right direction?. I m trying to find a picture and/or information to confirm what type of GWR Signalbox was at Bishopsteigton, between Newton Abbot and Teignmouth?

I ve tried the usual sources via the web but no luck so far

Bob.C

• RMweb Premium

Spelling it correctly helps ! (the title of the thread, I put that into my favourite search engine)

Bishopsteignton

http://www.s-r-s.org...ml/gwe/S849.htm

Well spotted that man!!

Luckily l did spell it correctly when l did my Web seach. I found the same entry, but the SRS site does not identify the type of Signalbox :-(

Thanks for your help anyway

Bob C

Here you go:

Type 21 box, 12'x9' at ground level

Stud locking frame, 5" centres

Spagnoletti block, later WR 3-position

Closing switch = 1

Working levers = 8

Opened 14th June 1923

Closed 18th May 1969

Source: Signalbox diagrams of the GW & SR - Vol 6 (GWR lines - Exeter and Torbay) [by G A Pryer]

• RMweb Premium

Here you go:

Type 21 box, 12'x9' at ground level

Stud locking frame, 5" centres

Spagnoletti block, later WR 3-position

Closing switch = 1

Working levers = 8

Opened 14th June 1923

Closed 18th May 1969

Source: Signalbox diagrams of the GW & SR - Vol 6 (GWR lines - Exeter and Torbay) [by G A Pryer]

Many thanks for this infomation,WS, does the source give any hint as to whether its a brick or timber structure?

Bob.C

• RMweb Gold

It is illustrated in Peter Kay's excellent book 'Exeter - Newton Abbot A Railway History' (assuming you are referring to the 1923 structure that is). Type 21 vertical timber boarding except the gable which has horizontal planking with ridge tiles on the roof. As it was a ground level 'box it was probably resting on timber baulks as was quite common for GWR pre-assembled timber signalboxes, definitely no sign of brickwork at ground level.

• RMweb Premium

It is illustrated in Peter Kay's excellent book 'Exeter - Newton Abbot A Railway History' (assuming you are referring to the 1923 structure that is). Type 21 vertical timber boarding except the gable which has horizontal planking with ridge tiles on the roof. As it was a ground level 'box it was probably resting on timber baulks as was quite common for GWR pre-assembled timber signalboxes, definitely no sign of brickwork at ground level.

Smashing, thats just what I needed to know, many thanks for that Stationmaster!

Archived