Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

RMweb Newsletter Competition - October

Andy Y

In the last newsletter we had a competition to win a National Railway Museum special edition of 'Duchess of Hamilton'

post-1-0-48072300-1346829623_thumb.jpg

The seemingly simple question was "How far south did the 'Duchess of Hamilton' reach?"

There were a lot of entries with many along the right lines (or at least logical answers) with a handful getting the right answer.

Some went for an answer of "Euston" as a safe option but my questions are never that simple! After withdrawal the loco was bought by Billy Butlin and for several years had a holiday at Minehead (which is further south than Euston), this proved to be the most common answer. However the loco did reach further south than that on the UK rail network when it reached Exeter on a steam special from Guildford on 16 November 1996 (no-one put that as an answer).

Maybe that's as far south as the loco with the correct nameplates did get but in 1939 the 'Duchess of Hamilton' swapped identities with 6220 'Coronation' and set off via Southampton (an answer a few went for) across the Atlantic to attend the 1939 New York World's Fair (the second most common answer). However before appearing at the World's Fair the loco did a tour of the East coast of the U.S. reaching Washington D.C. as the furthest point south. Several entrants did get that correct answer but for completeness and intelligent consideration I have awarded the prize to David Hart for the following:

It depends on the route that the ship that carried DoH to the USA in 1939 took.

Rationale:

The question does not specify whether the DoH was under its own power or not at its furthest point south.

The DoH went to the USA by ship in disguise as 6220 'Coronation' for the

1939 New York World's Fair, landing at Baltimore. There are two possible routes the ship may have taken in order to get to (or indeed from)

Baltimore:

1. The ship (MV Belpamela) may have gone through Delaware Bay and along the Chesapeake and Delaware Canal in order to reach Baltimore. After landing the DoH toured north east USA and at the start of this it visited Washington DC, which is south of Baltimore and the sea route (except possibly when the ship entered Delaware Bay!) and so Washington DC is the furthest south in this case.

2. The ship reached Baltimore by travelling north from the Atlantic Ocean through Chesapeake Bay, in which case the ship would have had to pass through the mouth of Chesapeake Bay at Norfolk, Virginia, which is south of Baltimore and Washington DC and so the mouth of Chesapeake Bay near Norfolk, Virginia, USA is the answer in this case.

Given that I don't suppose anyone knows what route the Belpamela (or the return journey ship) took, I think Washington DC is the furthest south that the DoH is recorded as having reached.

Well done David!

I'm now compiling the newsletter for November and the prize is a little bit special with a chance to own a model before it's been released!

If you've not already registered for the newsletter and would like a chance to win a Dapol Pannier Tank in 'N' gauge please sign up before this weekend - http://rmweb.model-r...ays-live.co.uk/

F4small.jpg

Well, I never thought of that. Parts of the USA are further south than the South Coast of England!

amazing isn't it? I think only Alaska is not further south than the South Coast of England! the whole contiguous 48 states are further south. (if it wasn't for the gulfstream current we would have Canadian weather. :chok_mini: )

well nearly :)

Archived