Which Inkjet Printer

I've just finished designing detailing transfers for my current projects, the only problem I have is that I have very fine vertical lines running through the images. This only seems to happen when I am printing onto water slide paper, the only thing I can put it done to is the printer feed wheels could be making these marks.

As the printer is about 7 years old now I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying another that will handle the job of fine print. So I'm asking if anyone could recommend me a good current printer that will be upto the job

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

Our Kodak seems rather good but I have not tried it for producing transfers.

I can't recommend any particular model but I would suggest that you should use one that uses individual cartridges for the colours. That way you can do white transfers easily.

That's interesting, so, in simple terms, you prepare your text in, say red, replace the red cartridge with white ink and then print? I can see how that would work but it leads to two questions;

Can you buy white ink cartridges, and if so, for most/any printers?

How can you be sure that when you've prepared the text in your chosen colour that the printer will only utilise that colour cartridge? That it won't add a bit of yellow to get a certain shade, or do you replace all the cartridges with white ink?

I'm genuinely interested as I'd really like to be able to prepare white text decals.

I work at a major PC selling chain so know a bit about printers, If its for transfers you are really better going for a laser so that the transfers don't need sealing, we sell a samsung one for £100. however it's not as good a printer as the ink jets for everything else. The best ink jet printer at the moment is probably the HP photosmart 6510 at £89.99, we have one set up as a demo printer and the print quality is fantastic with reasonably priced inks. Avoid kodaks at all costs, they are notoriously unreliable and the water based inks are prone to drying up

Richard

Hi Richard, I have looked at Lasers and pondered on buying one, although I have heard that inkjets give a better quality regarding colour. As long as the water slide transfer has a light coat of laquer applied over the print then it wont run when its placed in water.

I think the problem with using an ink jet when printing water slide, is that the ink doesn't dry quick enough before the paper exits the carriage, hense why I'm getting these fine lines.

Do you know of any ink jet printers with a high resolution that could eliminate this problem?

Dave

White ink in the place usually occupied by one of the colour cartridges. You then prepare the text on the computer in the colour of the ink cartridge that you have replaced.

Why not use white water slide paper, wouldn't that be easier?

• RMweb Gold

Can you buy white ink cartridges, and if so, for most/any printers?

How can you be sure that when you've prepared the text in your chosen colour that the printer will only utilise that colour cartridge? That it won't add a bit of yellow to get a certain shade, or do you replace all the cartridges with white ink?

I'm genuinely interested as I'd really like to be able to prepare white text decals.

White cartridges certainly exist but I don't know for which machines. You might have to fill an empty cartridge from a bottle.

On the potential problem of colour mixing, I will have to ask the person who first told me about this low-tech dodge.

White paper fine for making panels with coloured writing on. But otherwise you would need to cut out all the figures and letters???.

What I do is scan the surface colour of the object, then use that colour as a border./background for logos etc. That way you don't have to be that skilled with a scalpel and the transfer is easier to apply!

I cannot find any white inkjet printer cartridges on line so I'll be interested in more on that.

Dave, that's a neat idea, scanning the surface of the object for a colour match. I've tried using white decal paper for white text but always have great difficulty in matching the background/border to the colour of the model.

I'll give scanning a try.

• RMweb Gold

I have to say the HP inkjet printers do produce really nice images and the quality is fantastic but the price of the ink cartridges is a joke.

I bought the HP Photosmart Premium all in one model C310a it has a touch screen in the top middle and it only has to think about doing a print and the ink levels drop.

My dad also bought the same printer unfortunately I bought mine after him but he didn't really do enough prints to let me know how bad it was, he has just bought a Canon MG5350 ink jet.

For price comparisons on the inkjet cartridges:-

A full set of ink cartridges for the Canon.....yes that's all 5 they sell as a kit.

3 colours the black and photo black cost £41.99....each cartridge contains 9ml of ink.

A set of cartridges for the HP:-

A full set (5)of the XL Cartridges for the HP Photosmart Premium 310a ........£64.00.... each cartridge contains 6ml of ink!

HP don't sell a full kit of these, well I haven't found one yet, they have the three colours and black but you then need to get the photo black.

I was also told by HP customer services to run a page through the printer every so often with the XL cartridges so they don't dry out, another waste of ink.

Just be very careful on what you buy and look into ALL the running costs.

I think with an inkjet you will possibly always have the fine lines in which case a laser printer is probably the best way to go.

Cheers

Ian

I cannot find any white inkjet printer cartridges on line so I'll be interested in more on that.

Dave, that's a neat idea, scanning the surface of the object for a colour match. I've tried using white decal paper for white text but always have great difficulty in matching the background/border to the colour of the model.

A little tip Arthur if your scanning an object such as a loco I use a piece of white foam which is hollowed out in the centre and is the area size of the scanner glass, by doing that helps iliminate background shadows from not having the scanner lid down which can effect colours.

Surprisingly though I have found that the colour match doesn't have to be spot on, probably because of the thickness of the transfer film allows a certain amount of the surface colour of which the transfer is being applied, to blend through with the colour that was printed on the transfer. As far as matching is concerned it's a doddle.

Perhaps I'm being a little finicky and expecting to reach to good a result for 1/148, but then again I have so far been consistant in reaching an acceptable result, that is if I can get rid of the fine printer lines!

Thanks for that extra info Dave, that's excellent, I'll try it out. Thinking about it, having scanned 'the colour' how do you then copy that scanned colour to use in a document?

If your not using image manipulating programs which have droppers, then open the scanned image in Paint and use the dropper from the tool panel.

I have to say the HP inkjet printers do produce really nice images and the quality is fantastic but the price of the ink cartridges is a joke.

I think with an inkjet you will possibly always have the fine lines in which case a laser printer is probably the best way to go.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian looking at various models it would seem most colour lasers only have 600 x 600 dpi, although the new Samsung CLP-365W might be suitable for fine detail, which has a dpi of 2400x600.

I'll will check it out though so thanks for your input.

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I have done this, I sprayed a piece of card with Precision bauxite

Works OK

did transfers for my HTVs and MSVs

I use a laser @ 600 x 600 and I can print small signs etc. that are completely legible, I think it maybe due to the laser coating the paper rather than a wet ink that can run and bleed into the paper that means you get quality prints from a lower resolution.

• 1 month later...

I routinely use Solvaset with them and it works like it does with any commercial decal. They go soft and become a bit fragile, so leave them well alone, they'll also wrinkle up a bit, but once dry, they settle down nicely over details. The only caveat is that, to me, the decal film appears to be a little thicker than on the best commercial decals so bear that in mind.

Thanks, that's useful to know. I rebuilt a Hornby County 4-4-0 to EM gauge and re-painted it about 15 years ago and did the lining with a bow pen, and though I say it myself, it looks quite good. Since then my eyes have gone downhill and I'm not sure I could repeat the job now! However, Adobe Illustrator to the rescue! I reckon I could create more or less any lining or emblem, etc if the Crafty paper is that good.

I reckon I could create more or less any lining or emblem, etc if the Crafty paper is that good.

Yes, just remember, as discussed above, the problem of white and light colours. You would need to print on white decal sheet. Probably okay for lining, where cutting out long strips from the white carrier film would be straightforward, not so easy for numbers, letters or crests. You could also try the scanning technique outlined above.

I understand what you're saying, though, as far as the issue of reproducing existing background colours goes, I am lucky to be trained as an artist (painter), and I can get to the colour I need sooner or later by careful mixing. I'm a bit sceptical about the need for scanning, as home/office type scanners are not that accurate, nor are most monitors and printers calibrated that well, but I'm confident I could get the colour right in the end. My biggest concern would be obvious edges to the decal film and obliteration of rivet detail etc.

Archived