Blackpool Centenary 646 Suffers Vandal Attack

ctc

Centenary 64, which is stored in the car park of the Paul Gaunt furniture warehouse was attacked by vandals last night. Apparently several windows have been smashed, and an attempt was made to set the tram on fire.

Poor tram. Hope they catch who did it.

Centenary 64, which is stored in the car park of the Paul Gaunt furniture warehouse was attacked by vandals last night. Apparently several windows have been smashed, and an attempt was made to set the tram on fire.

Poor tram. Hope they catch who did it.

Can you confirm your source for this please?

This rumour has been circulating for several weeks but it was confirmed as intact and undamaged on Monday this week...

Paul

Thanks Keith,

and apologies to ctc.

Now sadly confirmed as true. There is a photo in an (error strewn) article on the Blackpool Gazette website...

I was just rather cynical at first because rumours had been circulating for several weeks and previously proven to be incorrect (plus it was posted yesterday on two blogs not known for their accuracy both quoting each other as their source!) so until evidence from a reliable source was forthcoming I assumed it to be a recirculation of the same rumour...

Paul

Thanks Keith,

and apologies to ctc.

Now sadly confirmed as true. There is a photo in an (error strewn) article on the Blackpool Gazette website...

I was just rather cynical at first because rumours had been circulating for several weeks and previously proven to be incorrect (plus it was posted yesterday on two blogs not known for their accuracy both quoting each other as their source!) so until evidence from a reliable source was forthcoming I assumed it to be a recirculation of the same rumour...

Paul

No problem. i was initially doubtful when i was told but was sent a picture of the damage.

• 1 month later...

In the latest twist to the tale 646 is now listed on ebay (Item no 281016302168) or at least a windscreen wiper is for sale...

As well as was using old photos of the car in service and before the recent damage there are at least two errors in the text! (quiz time for anyone who wants to test their Blackpool tramway knowledge)

From the items he has listed and past sales, the seller appears to be a vehicle breaker (not original purchaser Paul Guant). Feedback as a seller isn't exactly impressive...

He is selling it piece by piece starting with the windscreen wiper, but it says will sell the complete tram if an offer is made. With all eight of the class surviving I doubt a buyer will be found for the complete tram but some parts e.g. motors, compressor would be of use for other preservation groups so hopefully some of it will go to a good home.

Sadly not surprised to see trams appear in this way nor that 646 is the first...

Paul

Archived