Where do I put the signals?

Can anyone suggest a book or website that explains railway signalling really, really simply? I haven't a clue how signals work. My main problems are where to put them, which way round they go, which ones to use, etc. My layout is set in the 1960s and is a bit GWR and a bit LMS. Any advice gratefully received but please bear in mind I'm by no means a railway aficionado.

• RMweb Gold

On joint lines, signalling was usually the responsibility of just one of the companies.

This is important in your case because the GW and LMS had very different signalling policies. The GWR went for more posts placed more frequently along the trackside. The LMS went for fewer posts with more complex gantries at less frequent intervals.

In a model context, especially for a beginner, I think the GW principle is better option - but you need to make that choice.

Once you have, you can post a track diagram on here and I'm sure someone will show you how to signal it in either style.

• RMweb Premium

If you pop a track plan up then I'm sure that someone will have a go at signalling it. Bear in mind however that if a track plan is not prototypically correct it might be very hard to correctly signal.

As far as simple books go this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Railway-Signalling-C-J-Freezer/dp/1852601744 isn't bad (I won't claim it's perfect but I can understand it). If you browse second hand railway book stalls at preserved lines I would expect to find it cheaper than shown here.

• RMweb Gold

A couple of things - firstly you might find this thread of interest and, hopefully, some help - make sure you read it all the way through and it is illustrated http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/48504-gwr-signals-and-where-they-go/

Secondly period/era - whatever you want to call it - had as much influence on signallinga s it did on the appearance of locos and stiock, i.e. things changed over the years. For example taking Frome (GWR) which has already been quoted the 1875 signalling of the junction was as described as 'the GWR way of doing it' but when the layout was resignalled in the 1930s technical advance allowed splitting signals (i.e they could read to more than one route) to be provided at locations A & B on that sketch and no signal was provided at C. that is why when anybody asks on here for signalling advice - which we're more than happy to give, and we'll try to keep the language simple where we can - we always ask for location/Company/BR Region and era/period modelled as well as asking questions about traffic movements etc.

Archived