Cornish Riviera Express

fender

I've just been reading about the use of slip coaches on the GWR pre-WWII. apparently they left coaches at Par (for Newquay), Truro (for Falmouth), and St Erth (St Ives), on the way to Penzance.

questions:

would they still have used slip coaches in the 50s under BR WR? (I'm just curious, I couldn't model this :D)

how many coaches would have been left at each of these stations? just a brake? maybe another as well?

what kind of locos would have been used to take these on to their final destinations, just random tank locos as were available?

thanks very much. :)

• RMweb Premium

No slips in Cornwall. The slip coaches were used further up the line including ones for Weymouth that were slipped at Westbury.

Loco's to take on would have normally been those used on the line in question. The St Ives portion would have used 45/55xx's.

The number of coaches would vary dependent on loading. A complete train (8-10 coaches) would not have been out of the question. In this case you would have been looking at relief trains.

thanks very much, that's good news.

I'm trying to work out which stations I'll be able to use my choc&cream CRE coaches on for a future layout. I was worried it would have to be the main line only.

great, so I can consider any of the stations on those branches (although I realise they might not stop at many of them). :)

Archived