Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Station Pilot Shunting

Danemouth

The new version of Danemouth, loosely based on Porthcawl is a double track station BR(W) in the period 1956-62. The upper track (Down) from the fiddle yard is inbound and the lower (up) is outbound

post-7048-0-60335500-1349462322.jpg

I have a question shunting the coaches in a prototypical manner. The station pilot couples onto the rear of the train stood in platforms 1 or 2 and the train engine uncouples. The coaches will now be drawn out by the pilot to either release the loco or place them in another platform, always assuming that they are not going to the carriage sidings further along the Up track.

Would they always be pulled out onto the Up (Outbound) track then propelled back into the platform or could the Down track be used?

Thanks,

Dave

As it's a regular move there's no reason why either move couldn't be made providing the signalling allowed.

James,

Thanks for the info, just 8 minutes after my post :)

Looking at a signal plan for Porthcawl which admittedly became single track after the scissors crossing the starter signals on each platform appear to have a smaller signal arm below the main signal - some form of "calling on" signal?

I wonder were these arms to allow shunting of coaches on either up or down track or to allow shunting without the single line token? Danemouth incidentally is double track all the way to the "junction"

Regards,

Dave.

Thanks for the info, just 8 minutes after my post :)

Pleasure, though I've not said much!

Looking at a signal plan for Porthcawl which admittedly became single track after the scissors crossing the starter signals on each platform appear to have a smaller signal arm below the main signal - some form of "calling on" signal?

I wonder were these arms to allow shunting of coaches on either up or down track or to allow shunting without the single line token? Danemouth incidentally is double track all the way to the "junction"

Essentially yes, but there would be a section signal beyond which marks the start of the block section and limit of the 'station limits'. In the station limits you can do whatever you want without having to bother the next box, well within reason! So in this case the section signal would be positioned so reuglar and planned moves could be completed without having to move beyond it. You can shunt beyond it if required and the rule book allows for it.

However, you don't really need to worry about this as it's all off stage! And with your pilot working, it would be quite consistent I suspect and the track/signalling layout would reflect what was required.

Hope that helps.

The way shunting was done would also determine the type of platform starter signals.

If shunting is only on the Up line and there are no other shunting moves out of the platforms (eg to sidings) then each platform starting signal would only have a main arm. Clearing this signal authorises trains to proceed as far as the off-scene section signal, either for shunting or as a normal departure, as explained by James. A shunt can begin as soon as a previous departing train has passed the section signal. The downside of this arrangement for the signal engineer is that it needs an extra set of signals (probably a disc for each route), off-scene, to control the reversal from the Up line back into the platform.

If shunting is permitted on the Down line then shunting trains take a different route out of the station so you need an extra disc or small arm (a disc on the GWR I think) on each platform starter. This authorises the train to go onto the Down line in the "wrong" direction, but only as far as a "limit of shunt" board which would be placed a train length beyond the points. The advantage in signalling terms is that signals used for normal arrivals from the Down line can also control shunt moves returning back into the platforms. It does however mean that the first stop signal for approaching trains must be further away than the limit of shunt board, and normally 440 yards further away to allow for trains overrunning the signal. If this isn't provided then any shunt via the Down line would only be possible if no train had been accepted on that line from the next box.

Which arrangement was used depended on local circumstances and different company practice, so you probably want someone to comment on what the GWR/WR would have done in this situation. A station with a lot of shunting might even allow both to provide extra flexibility.

Archived