Which ECML Named 1950s Express?

robmcg

Hello all,

In a change from the usual, a Hornby engine hauling Bachmann Mk1s, I show this Bachmann 32-559 A1 60157 'Great Eastern' at the head of an ECML train of Hornby Mk1s... the carriages are from a Hornby set but I'd love to know if A1 Peppercorn Pacifics hauled trains which might at a stretch resemble my picture, headboard not withstanding.

I know that outer London pre-war had tunnels faintly resembling my 1957-61 scene, but if someone could come up with any other tunnel, and an express named or otherwise which might have offered the same marvellous BR choking experience I would be most grateful, and perhaps add a suitable headboard.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

edit

possibilities? Including standing in for A3s and A4s with middle big end trouble and assorted valve gear issues...

The Elizabethan

The Talisman or The Fair Maid/Morning Talisman

The West Riding Limited

The Flying Scotsman

The Heart of Midlothian

The Northumbrian

post-7929-0-47299900-1349487552.jpg

Hello all,

In a change from the usual, a Hornby engine hauling Bachmann Mk1s, I show this Bachmann 32-559 A1 60157 'Great Eastern' at the head of an ECML train of Hornby Mk1s... the carriages are from a Hornby set but I'd love to know if A1 Peppercorn Pacifics hauled trains which might at a stretch resemble my picture, headboard not withstanding.

I know that outer London pre-war had tunnels faintly resembling my 1957-61 scene, but if someone could come up with any other tunnel, and an express named or otherwise which might have offered the same marvellous BR choking experience I would be most grateful, and perhaps add a suitable headboard.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

edit

possibilities? Including standing in for A3s and A4s with middle big end trouble and assorted valve gear issues...

The Elizabethan

The Talisman or The Fair Maid/Morning Talisman

The West Riding Limited

The Flying Scotsman

The Heart of Midlothian

The Northumbrian

post-7929-0-47299900-1349487552.jpg

Elizabethan - unlikely standby loco was an A4, coaches 8 Thompson Pressure ventilated and 2 Mk1's

Any of the others a possibilty as Mk1's were cascaded very quickly into top named services.

One end of the Flying Scotsman retained a Thompson BG until very late.

The Talisman I forget whether morning or evening consisted of all Mk1's. The other consistem of mk1's and a coronation open 1st twin set and an Thompson open third

The West riding principly mk1's but a twinset of pre war west riding coaches still existed

Heart of Midlothian and the Northumbrain were Mk1's I believe.

HTH

Thankyou HTH with info about carriages, I had forgotten about the pressure ventilated Thompsons (as late as 1960?) and the Gresley BG on the Flying Scotsman. I shall have to research various tunnel portals on different routes to see if any would resemble mine... time of day of named train etc... will look at as many photos as I can find.

Best,

Rob

Knew I had seen that picture before. Closely comparable to a pic of 60134 on the down White Rose emerging from Stoke Tunnel, in Colin Walker's 'Eastern Region Steam Twilight'. Your pic is an extra coach length out of the tunnel, but otherwise very similar.

I have never seen the photo you cite, but have seen Youtube footage of the exit from Stoke Tunnel with A3s mostly. There were some similarities but no curvature, and the engines were quite clean in the exhaust even if working hard. In my A1 pic the engine appears as if working perhaps harder than optimal in a tunnel, (for passengers and crew alike!) and slower than likely at Stoke Tunnel... maybe it was a relatively cold engine at the beginning of a run, or having just taken over from a failed engine, the fire would have been torn to pieces by a lot of regulator on a fresh grate of coal, and I have set the cut-off to about 18%-20% in the pic so I have set myself a rather improbable scene?

I shall have to look at more photos but have few books with pictures of relevant trains. A few O S Nock were lost in the Chriscturch earthquake, alas. The scene I wonder is a bit too romanticised and the inspiration for it came from my memories of choking in tunnels in the 1950s and 1960s!

A bit of research in books and with Google images methinks!

edit came up with this magic ...

http://www.davidheys....com/page71.htm

Rob

Guest Belgian

Robbie - that is a magical picture, it shows how brilliant modern models are, and how brilliant you are with your 'painting' them in your displays . . . Wow! (and thanks).

JE

From what I can recall, the Elizabethan was only hauled by A1's on three occasions, two were to replace failures en route whilst the other actually hauled the train from Edinburgh to London after another failure before departure. If anyone's interested, I might be able to dig out the numbers of the locos concerned.

Aside from the above, and I know it doesn't really fit with Mk1s, but the 'Queen of Scots' pullman was a regular A1 turn.

Thanks for the compliment JE ... they are lovely, these 00 RTR models.

And Jim, thanks for the offer about the Elizabethan, but I thought I might go for a headboard for a Leeds or Newcastle named train and then thought, oops, I don't recall A1s regularly working to Leeds... could there have been restrictions on speed on a bridge or something? Or was that the Gresley A1s before the 30s? or something entirely different.

It must be humbling for you to see how clear my mind is!

Maybe I'll just make it 'The White Rose' and be done with it.

Rob

'The Scarborough Flyer' summer Saturdays, could have anything on it! but certainly A1's would be common coming off at York to be changed for a B16, B1, V2 etc & vice versa. There is also the 'Anglo Scottish Car Carrier' which had four Mk1's on it as well as the six car carrier wagons. 'The Fair Maid' (1957/8)'The Northumbrian'(1950's/60's)

Cheers

silverlink

Archived