Where to buy copper clad sleepers for 4mm baseboard joints and which ones?

Hi all,

This is really my first proper post on the forum - just been following and lurking in the background with the odd post but now I'm building my new layout Dane Cliff - I will be posting a lot more (A thread on it will be started this week!).

So Dane Cliff is being built to be exhibited and this will be my first "proper" layout so I don't have that much knowledge on track crossing baseboard joints.

I've done the internet to death on it finding bits of useful info so I've decided to go for the copper clad sleepers on joints (rest of the track will be peco code 100 concrete) but I don't know what exactely I need and where to get it. I've looked at C&L but I'm not sure what I need to get.

I've got 42 track ends to stick down so do I need 42 sleepers or 84 to double them up?

I have no idea on what each measurement actually is so If someone can explain in simple (REALLY SIMPLE) terms of what I need to get and where from then I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks very much :imsohappy:

Jorge

You will need a fixed sleeper - at least one on either side of the join (I use 2) solder the track across the join before cutting the track. I use a copper pin to hold the sleepers to the baseboard.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/57422-smc-sidings/#entry719744

Don't forget to cut the copper on both sides in the middle of the sleeper to avoid a short. It is amazing how easy it is to catch something on the ends of the rails and rip up and bend a whole section of track

Try to get double sided copper clad.. it's not as nice to cut but what it allows you to do is create a 'module' of 2-3 sleepers joined together with a piece of brass on one side. Use the brass to screw the sleepers to the board and you have a very solid 'end' to your track.

See BLT ( signature ) for exactly what I mean.

Works very well and easy to do.

Thanks for to everyone that replied, you've all helped and I now think I understand :yes:

I'll be off to maplin and 3 local model shops in the morning to find something, and I'll post a thread on my layout as soon as I get somewhere.

Thanks! :derisive:

Archived