Bulleid Q1's

84A

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Hornby Q1 as part of a lot of locos - I must admit I have never actively gone out of my way to buy one, but now i've seen it running on my layout I think its a charming piece of kit and I want to hold on to it.

Anyway, I remember holding a Hornby model back in 2006-7 sometime (I think!) which was a BR late crest weathered version. What stood out to me the most were the 'arms' at the front of the model that connected to the front axle (I am sorry, I dont know the technical term - hence the question!). However, the model I have is of C8 in sunshine Southern livery and does not feature these arms. Originally, I thought they were missing, however there appeared to be no damage to this effect present on the model. I have just gone online this morning and found that the Southern C8 model does not feature these arms. Were these added by BR at a later date? If so, could anyone provide me with details on what they are, and what they actually do please? I cannot find any mention of valve gear changes on the web, however I have seen outshopped photos of the real thing with them missing, so I dont believe it to be a mistake on Hornby's part.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Archived