Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bulleid Q1's

84A

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Hornby Q1 as part of a lot of locos - I must admit I have never actively gone out of my way to buy one, but now i've seen it running on my layout I think its a charming piece of kit and I want to hold on to it.

Anyway, I remember holding a Hornby model back in 2006-7 sometime (I think!) which was a BR late crest weathered version. What stood out to me the most were the 'arms' at the front of the model that connected to the front axle (I am sorry, I dont know the technical term - hence the question!). However, the model I have is of C8 in sunshine Southern livery and does not feature these arms. Originally, I thought they were missing, however there appeared to be no damage to this effect present on the model. I have just gone online this morning and found that the Southern C8 model does not feature these arms. Were these added by BR at a later date? If so, could anyone provide me with details on what they are, and what they actually do please? I cannot find any mention of valve gear changes on the web, however I have seen outshopped photos of the real thing with them missing, so I dont believe it to be a mistake on Hornby's part.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Archived