Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Have Something Moving !

DonB

My experience of showing my Hockley Goods Diorama at 3 events leads me to agree with those who say it is essential to "Have something moving".

At the Mickleover Club show last year, just one day after the Challenge closing date I was allowed a small space and shoe-horned into the hall, and had just minimum interest shown in an area without "passing traffic", so unless I went out of my way to attract attention, It did not get noticed.

At the RMweb day, again little more than a passing glance, no one asked me for any details without first being prompted. After the first couple of hours or so, I left it mostly alone and enjoyed the other exhibits.

At Mickleover again this year, adjacent to a doorway with lots of passing traffic, unless I caught the eye of the visitor and rotated the Diorama on its turntable to generate interest .... Just a passing glance!

I found that it was neccessary to have a Showman's approach and be pro-active, and be "pushy".

Doing this, I got quite a lot of questions along the lines of "How (or Why?) did you do that?" or "What material?" or "Will it be part of a bigger layout?" and explained the working of a Transit Shed. Having adopted this approach I had an enjoyable couple of days.

I have withdrawn the Diorama from the up-coming event at Weston -on-Trent for other reasons than the above. and it will now be scrapped and dismantled as I feel it is now looking "tired".

Hi Don,

I've never exhibited a static diorama

many would say my small layouts aren't much bigger than most dioramas

From personal experience, I tend to look at good modelling,

whether there's something moving, or not

Of course, if it's a complete layout, I would expect to see something moving, at some point

It's a shame you found that there was little apparent interest

I for one, would stop for a look / chat

I'm not a military modeller, but often stop by any military dioramas I see

as there is much we could all learn from each others' techniques

The first time I visited Pendon, years back

there was nothing moving on the vale scene,

but that didn't stop it being a fascinating model......

If you still like the diorama, I'd say keep it and if it looks "tired"

maybe a re-vamp / update could be fruitful?

EDIT: I've seen many fascinating dioramas, inlcuding several on here by Stubby

and the brilliant "Woodmores" - don't lose heart in them - they can be as much fun as any moving layout

Like everything it seems that "location location location" are a determining factor. Sometimes the modelling of a diorama is so much better than on a big layout (a more focused and concentrated approach to the subject) but with so little space in front of the model for viewing perhaps the punter gets the feeling that they are in the way or hogging the view? Even worse if seen to be chatting away to the owner and blocking everyone else from catching a glimpse.

Of course movement helps but it doesn't have to be a loco, does it?

On a bigger layout the boredom comes from seeing vast expanses of scatter grass (important for the big picture) but nothing to look at while you wait for the next interesting train to pass through.

Archived