Guayaquil & Quito Rly

Captain Cuttle

Hi

Yes it is being rebuilt but much slower than planned and probably with a lot of wastage, hopefully it will be completed before the goverment changes or the money runs out. It is a fantastic railway and I traveled on the parts still open in 2003, the track was in a terrible state and the engine derailed 3 times.

We did Duran to Yaguachi and Sibambe to Urbina by steam plus Urbina to Quito by railcar. The section from Urbina to Cotopaxi was quite interesting as we were told that aprt from one light engine movement we were the first train to use the line for 5 years! There was a small army of workers on the railcar who got out at road crossings to dig out the flangways and who cut down several power and telephone cable that had been stretched across the right of way. We arrived at Quito station in the dark and had to wake up the staff to unlock the gates across the track.

We also did the other section of line beyond Quito from Ibarra to Primer Passo again by railcar due to the state of the track, this was another spectacular journey with many tunnels and high bridges.

The link below will take you to some pictures on Flickr posted by the railway company

http://www.flickr.co...os/trenecuador/

And this one will take you to my Flickr page which has a few shots from my trip

http://www.flickr.co...s/10152260@N05/

Regards

Neil

Hi Guys,

you can read my report of what has gone on in the early part of last year in the link below:

http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/trains/ecuador08.htm

By all accounts the little 2-6-0 Number 7 has been cosmetically restored at Duran now and will form art of a museum there. Depending on work I may get back out there this year for another snoop around!

Cheers,

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Yes it is being rebuilt but much slower than planned and probably with a lot of wastage, hopefully it will be completed before the goverment changes or the money runs out. It is a fantastic railway and I traveled on the parts still open in 2003, the track was in a terrible state and the engine derailed 3 times.

The link below will take you to some pictures on Flickr posted by the railway company

http://www.flickr.co...os/trenecuador/

l

Our Ministers of Historic Monuments don't look like Dr. Espinoza !!! (I assume that's what the Ministra Coordinadora de Patrimonio is) A red 3' gauge Baldwin in steam in 2009 is equally attractive and isn't that the loco that was used in the coffee ads a few years ago?

Are they rebuilding the G&Q primarily as a transport link or as a tourist attraction and do you know if steam will play a significant role in its future or was no 17 just out for the day from the museum?

Your 2003 photos are really excellent and the Devil's Nose looks like something that John Allen would have built.

• 2 weeks later...

Our Ministers of Historic Monuments don't look like Dr. Espinoza !!! (I assume that's what the Ministra Coordinadora de Patrimonio is) A red 3' gauge Baldwin in steam in 2009 is equally attractive and isn't that the loco that was used in the coffee ads a few years ago?

Are they rebuilding the G&Q primarily as a transport link or as a tourist attraction and do you know if steam will play a significant role in its future or was no 17 just out for the day from the museum?

Your 2003 photos are really excellent and the Devil's Nose looks like something that John Allen would have built.

Thanks for your kind comments. I think that it will mainly be for tourists but they will probably run a railbus for locals with the steam engines reserved for special occasions. They have a number of diesels as well which could be used for passenger trains but I can't see much prospect for too many freight trains with the steep gradients and sharp curves on this line.

Archived