Interlaced turnout build

I saw a plan in Templot Club for an interlaced turnout 2 or 3 years ago and fancied building one, a few weeks ago I was talking to a friend who models the Highland Railway and saw his eyes light up when I said I fancied building one, so I asked if he would like it once I built it.

I entered corospondance with one modeller on Templot Club who sent me some further details and only yesterday when checking a few details found another plan on Templot Club for the turnout, so I have contacted the person asking if I can use his plan details to saaist the build as I have no idea who's plan I am using (as it differs slightly from the one I have)

I will be using a mixture of parts, Brook Smith sleepers, C&L 4 bolt chairs and Exactoscale special switch, crossing and check rail chairs

post-1131-0-99433100-1350297087_thumb.jpg

The sleepers have been attached to a piece of tracing paper with thin strips of double sided tape, which is held in place over the plan with masking tape

post-1131-0-97172900-1350297120_thumb.jpg

I built up the common crossing then attached it in place using a mixture of C&L 4 bolt chairs and Exactoscale crossing and bridge chairs. The Exactoscale chairs are the light brown ones, their crossing chairs are designed for standard turnouts, so a bit of modelling licence has taken place, also my only reference is an old photo showing a station complex and the nearest photo is a 3 way. On this view I seem to have one too many central chairs very close to each other (6 instead of 5) but it may be that the wing rail is too long ?

post-1131-0-81234800-1350297137_thumb.jpg

The straight stock rail is put in place with the check rail using Exactoscale check rail chairs. the check rail seems to be slightly in the wrong place in this photo, I have moved it now back one set of sleepers so it lines up with the wing rail end

post-1131-0-12153400-1350386640_thumb.jpg

I have added the second stock rail in this photo which is showing the first stage of fitting the 'special' switch chairs.

From right to left the first 3 slide chairs are Exactoscale's P4 slide chairs,

The next 2 are Exactoscales 4mm slide chairs, these are slightly larger but as the next slide chair is the first of the special chairs which is much larger than the P4 chair I thought for visual purposes I would increase the size gradually.

As said the 6th chair is the first of the special chairs, this chair holds the stock rail but lets the switch rail to move

The next 3 chairs are part chairs only, the first being in 2 parts and the other 2 in 3 parts

post-1131-0-75541500-1350386624_thumb.jpg

Photo of the whole turnout, the check rail on the stock rail has been moved to line up with the wing rail and is smaller than the other wing rail. I have 2 photo's of interlaced turnouts both of which do not help much, and seen 2 different interpretations of interlaced turnouts and this layout to my mind (I may well be wrong) not only looks better but in practice covers the crossing better.

In one the photos it looks like the clousure rails up to the wing rail use standard chairs. The wing rail looks too long against photographic evidence. I may be able to do something about the first part but too late to alter the wing rail length.

Very tasty.

I did once try to build one around the time that C&L first came on the scene. Exactoscale chairs must be a big help. The problem was keeping everything in place. If I tried again I would use quite a few pins and solder the rail to them in situ.

Looking at a drawing of an NER version the trick the real railway used was that as well as using the various special chairs they used a narrow chair.

After the sequence of slide and heel chairs they put two narrow chairs on each of the next two sleepers holding both the stock rail and the switch rail to the same sleeper.

The sequence being 5 to 7 slide chairs, 2 to 3 heel chairs, 2 sleepers with 2 narrow chairs on each.This is all on the straight pattern of sleepering. The angled sleepering starts at the next sleeper after the second of the one with narrow chairs. The number of chairs I presume varies depending on the switch length. Same applies to the other rail to avoid confusing any body even more.

I hope that makes sense.

You have the V in exactly the same place as the drawing so the rest of it can always be fiddled to suit.

Bernard

...On this view I seem to have one too many central chairs very close to each other (6 instead of 5) but it may be that the wing rail is too long ?

...the check rail seems to be slightly in the wrong place in this photo, I have moved it now back one set of sleepers so it lines up with the wing rail end

Without seeing the drawing of the HR prototype that you are working from, it is difficult to tell. However, if it is similar to the NER type that micknich showed when you asked about these a couple of months back, then it does look like your wing rails are one sleeper too long. There are other differences, of course, so this may be correct for the HR type. I noticed that your check rails cover five sleepers rather than the four on the NE type, and the latter also appears to have a 12", or maybe even 14", timber under the tip of the V.

btw, what's the crossing angle?

Nick

Rim

The trackwork is looking very good, the wing rails look better and you seem to have been able to line up both check rails the same size

Bernard

Thanks for the info, I think it needs at least 2 extra sleepers if not 4, but that is just me looking at a few old pictures and not based on any facts. I have used smaller chairs (bridge rather than small) in some places, but there is no need for extra sleepers (as I think the sleepers are too wide apart). If I can find out more about these turnouts I quite fancy building another.

I dont know how many of the special crossing chairs would have been used, but I told my friend I would use them in the build

Nick

I do think you are right about the length of the wing rail, the plan I think is a first draft design which needs refining. I will chat this through with my friend and it could be altered without too much trouble.

One check rail covers 5 sleepers, the other covers 4. I put in a 4 sleeper check rail first but the sleepers/wing/crossing rails did not line up very well. I saw on another thread the builder was using 4 sleeper length on the main route and 5 on the exit route and it looks far more ballanced.

Under the V is a 10" sleeper, I would have thought in the crossing area at leasr 12" wide sleepers would have been used, but I have not seen this on anyone else's build

Tonights progress

post-1131-0-75375900-1350510097_thumb.jpg

Second switch rail in place, the 2 frets for the switch rails in the foreground. You can build a left and right hand turnout from the parts either an A, B or C size

post-1131-0-18756200-1350510116_thumb.jpg

I was hoping that this shot would show up the detail of the switch rail chairs better

post-1131-0-93543000-1350510144_thumb.jpg

View from the other side, now back to the bench to sort out the rest of the chairs.

I will have a chat with my friend about the areas of concern, I should be able to remove the crossing and the good thing about using standard sleepers is I can re-jig the plan and just slide them closer together and then add a couple more sleepers if needed.

John

Re the length of the check rails.

The NER drawing that I have gives.

1 in 4 to 1 in 9 1/2 5' 6" straight with 3'3" flares

That seems to extend over 4 sleepers.

To a certain extent the design will be dependent on the date and location as well as the geometry.

You are going to use proper check rail chairs in two different sizes? :jester:

Bernard

Bernard

Thanks for the reply, I may be confusing you with the check rail chairs, they come on a sprue with a left and right end chairs and 3 centre ones, this is fine for a 5 sleeper check rail and a spare if only building a 4 sleeper one (spares can be held in reserve for 6 sleeper check rails (if they exist) or extended checkrails on 3 ways.

Will be very simple to revert back to a 4 sleeper checkrail as per Mick Nic's drawing, but the check rails are not in line (which is correct as per the drawing) with the wing rail ends and just differs from what I am use to seeing

I have seen the 4/5 sleeper check rail solution on a Templot members plan, I will contact him and ask about it. It certainly looks much better and as I said lines up with the wing/clousure rails much better than a 4 sleeper lengh one on the curved exit. The point at which the switch/clousure rail joins the common crossing is staggered so it falls between the gap in sleepers.

I have just played arround with Templot with a B6 turnout replacing the normal turnout sleepers from the 10th sleeper (first 2 are non slide chairs). I will read up on Templot forum the threads relating to Interlaced turnouts along with the replies on both threads I started on here. all information will be greatly appreciated. Building this first one has thrown up lots of questions

Under the V is a 10" sleeper, I would have thought in the crossing area at leasr 12" wide sleepers would have been used, but I have not seen this on anyone else's build

NER turnouts have a single 12" timber under the point of the V, and 12" timbers from the toe through the switches up to where they start interlacing (the number of these 12" timbers therefore varies with switch type). Not very obvious from the photo, but these 12" timbers are included on my turnouts.

Here's a couple of better pictures, showing the single different width sleeper at the V

post-7001-0-68834000-1350594726.jpg

and several through the switches (this also shows my attempt at the 'narrow' chairs that Bernard mentioned: I used cut down GWR 2-bolt chairs)

post-7001-0-26924900-1350594804.jpg

Tim

Thanks for the info, I will take on board about the 12" sleeper (thought the 10" were too small) and thanks for the explanation about the narrow chairs, as I was getting them confused with small chairs.

I think this build has taught me a lot about interlaced turnouts, I need to read again the bits on Templot Club, along with the plan Mick Nic sent me in conjunction with the plan I did on Templot tonight.

I have inserted another sleeper as the gap on the plan where the 12" sleepers stopped and the 10" ones started was too big and just replaced the sleeper under the V with a 12" one. Will download a photo either tomorrow or Saturday.

Again thanks to everyone, and please keep the info rolling in especially if its about the Highland Railway

Tim

Thanks for the info, I will take on board about the 12" sleeper (thought the 10" were too small) and thanks for the explanation about the narrow chairs, as I was getting them confused with small chairs.

John

Sorry for causing confusion. The photo by Tim shows the layout of the chairs far better than my attempt at a description. At least as an NER man he could grasp what I was getting at.

When I built mine I used an EMGS drawing, blanked out the non required section of the long timbers and then infilled the sleepering for the curved road to fit. Very crude, but as long as the essential parts are located in the correct place everything else will fall into position and at least work even if not being perfect to the prototype.

Bernard

I think my rechargeable batteries have been recharged a few times too many, so here is a photo of the turnout from my phone in bad light. I have added an additional sleeper between the end of the 12" sleepers and the start of the 10" ones which looks much better but the rail break now needs moving

post-1131-0-40921400-1350944407_thumb.jpg

My friend was not around last weekend so I have left it as it is till I see him hopefully on saturday.

I realy need to have a look at the NE turnout plan Mick Nick sent me and see how my own templot plan matches with each it, as my own plan can be tweaked to match. Also like the idea of using half chairs cut down from GWR 2 bolt chairs.

Other things on the bench will stop me progressing further for the time being, any other suggestions or info will be most welcome

Archived