Penhayle Bay

Gwiwer

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Five years ago tonight, 17th April 2017, the last trains ran on the Penhayle Bay Railway.  

Many of us have missed those days.  Although relatively few people saw the layout in the flesh due to its location in Australia it became very well known through the various internet platforms such as RMweb, Facebook and others.  I am still asked questions about it, the techniques and products used, how I achieved some of the visual effects seen (many of which were actually quirks of the natural outdoor daylight) and whether it can still be visited.  Sadly the last has not been possible for those five years although parts survive in Australia and the UK.  

It remains my intention to self-publish a book which is currently part-written but which has been overtaken by other projects and has, like most of the world, been delayed by the Covid-19 situation.  At least it was eventually featured in a magazine albeit a small-circulation Australian publication but also available online.  

If future circumstances permit then there can definitely be a "Mk2" version built though probably not the full 34-metre version as it was.  

I remain very humbled by the accolades, interest and frequent references so long after the final train departed from that little cliff-side station above the harbour lights.  It broke rules I didn't know were considered rules: the station was built on a reverse-curve, it was DC throughout and relied on point-blade contact for power continuity despite being 34 metres around, having a large fiddle yard, two branches and two lift-out sections, and it was outside.  Covered, yes, but still at the whim of everything the weather could throw at it from torrential rain and hail to searing heat and dust.  Almost everything survived very much beyond what I expected and way beyond manufacturer's design limits.  

So for those who enjoyed and followed as it was built, developed and operated almost daily, for those who have never until now even heard of it but happen to look in to the "New Content" out of interest, and for old times' sake here is that very last train once more.  And a link to a gallery where many of the better images amassed over the years can be viewed and enjoyed once again.  

Penhayle Bay 2005 - 2017  https://gwiwer.smugmug.com/ModelRailway-1/n-tqbnb

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

A most unexpected sighting occurred in SW London today. St. Blazey depot’s 37669, one of the regular freight locos seen at Penhayle Bay, turned up sporting recently-applied nameplates commemorating that railway. 

These were probably applied in the depot without ceremony as the loco had not been reported previously as being named and wasn’t exactly spotless.

With thanks to Light Railway Stores 

50160F73-8F3F-4892-8FCA-4E7D8F01E20D.jpeg.42b70d8179a564776cc2ad619fef59b9.jpeg

E44CE7ED-409F-4C74-827D-C22D555D8436.jpeg.686b3fa283f55569f3c0b2c54bada316.jpeg

F8BBE579-2F66-4417-B4ED-9E54FB4AF039.jpeg.52c6fcb9a9bff725a728245ee7462b42.jpeg 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 4