Adding Pickups to a Lima Bogie

tracklayer72

I usually solder the PhB strip to a small piece of veroboard or piece of copperclad sleeper. This allows you to also solder any wires you may need. I then glue the board to the side of the bogie using a bog standard superglue with lots of heavy breathing (I believe the superglue grabs quicker in the presence of moisture, so heavy out breathing provides a bit of moisture, and for me, importantly, stops me breathing in the fumes. You can get a good rythm going - lean back, breath in, forward, blow, lean back, brea....you get the idea.)

JD

• RMweb Premium

Thanks JD that sounds a good idea, dont know about the heavy breathing!

Thanks also Neil, had a look at the link you sent, may try it, dont know if my soldering skill is up to it though, may try an adaption,

many thanks,

any more ideas? any body.

Norman

I would Araldite a strip of printed circuit board across the top. The larger surface area will assist in sticking.

Then solder long wires to this & bend as required, onto the backs of the wheels. Not ideal as lots of flex, but a bit of playing around should get you there in the end.

If using Araldite, drill some holes in the bogie first. Then the glue can be forced down into them for a key; after it sets it is unlikely tp pull out of them. I usually do this, sticking copperclad sleeper strip on, then soldering pickups to the strip.

Stewart

If using Araldite, drill some holes in the bogie first. Then the glue can be forced down into them for a key; after it sets it is unlikely tp pull out of them. I usually do this, sticking copperclad sleeper strip on, then soldering pickups to the strip.

Stewart

Thanks for that, which Araldite do you use, as there are 5-6 to chose from.

Araldite is a brand name for 2-part epoxy, I believe the original come from Ciba-Geigy at Duxford. The original was 24 hour setting, but much stronger than the later introduction of 5 minutes! Other brands are basically copies of both of these. In practice, for our application, the 5 min type is more than adequate if allowed to set properly without disturbing it in the final stages of setting. Also I tend to go for the best bargain at the time I need to buy some more.

I remember seeing a Ciba-Geigy demo at a very early Duxford IWM open day, where a car (Austin 1100?) was suspended by a plate stuck to its roof with Araldite. We are hardly replicating that!

A tip whilst glueing - as you have to mix it anyway, use the surplus on the palette to judge when the glue has (nearly, then finally) set. Although with epoxies it is possible to move the parts during setting time, I feel that a movement "too late" seems to weaken the bond.

Stewart

Archived