Humbrol Airbrush + Power pack?

Hi,

I've been at my 2 Hornby Mk1 sleepers. Up until now I've managed to sand them down and make holes for the handrails. As a beginner I plan to use the Humbrol airbrush kit (earlier I had posted about a good started airbrush but I decided on the Humbrol one eventually). The Humbrol airbrush (AG5107) is perfect for me since it's priced at 15 quid. Now I can't afford a compressor - unless theres one below 40 quid. So I decided to use the Hombrol propellant or power pack as it's called - (AV6941). My question is how many cans of propellant would I need to paint these two coaches into BR Blue/Grey? Anyone who would know how long a 400ml can would last?

http://www.humbrol.com/accessories/application-products/

Any advice would be appreciated.

But one of the cheap airbrush & compresser sets off Ebay, better airbrushes and not having to buy cans of compressed air will soon repay the extra cost. I like others are glad they bit the bullet (I think mine cost less than £70 inc postage 3 years ago ) a friend brought one recently for not much more than I paid and is very pleased, and you can spray all night

Well then I'll ask my uncle in England to check out some on ebay - UK p&p will also save me a lot. I think Intl. delivery is more than 45 quid :O

I guess I would love to do other painting/weathering projects on my remaining fleet. Just another question, how exactly do you use weathering powders? Do you need to apply a coat of varnish over it to lock it down? or can it simply be applied and left like that - I'm talking about body sides and undercarriage, so do they require two different techniques?

Archived