RMweb

A trip down Memory Lane

• RMweb Gold

It's Vol 1 of an 8-vol set cunningly entitled British Railways. Other vols include quite a bit of Southern stuff, too, as well as branches all over and Midland steam, as well as some narrow gauge. I was given it a while ago.

Thanks for the "heads up" on this Frank.

Certainly not 45 mins wasted, though I found myself nodding off listening to the rather repetitive commentary.

Yep, same here. The voice isn't exactly 'Fred Dinage', with one or two glitches regarding train descriptions thrown in, around Basingstoke.

I.e. An Inter regional / cross-country train made up of Maroon stock, with the loco carrying discs over each buffer, heading, supposedly for Waterloo ?

Some shots of a pigeon special and the shunting of the ex-Bournemouth West restaurant car portion on to the end of the Weymouth portion at the Central, were new to me.

Interesting variations in coaching stock liveries, to boot.

Cheers.

Brief glimpse of Holes Bay Junction/Sterte area of Poole right near the end.

Nice to see a Bullied pacific departing from Soton WITHOUT any trace of wheelslip.

Hi Peter.

Looking at the Holes Bay shot, it does appear that the train is heading into Poole, rather than towards Weymouth. ? (I'll have to look out for Vols. 7+, in the hope things are put right)

Re: Slipping...

Trying to control a machine with that amount of power to weight ratio* coupled, to haul a substantial load, and to do it, day in and day out, would tax many a driver.

*See 'Drag Racing'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdvNMfYxNyo&feature=related These guys do it for fun and earn big bucks in the process. (Apologies for going completely off-thread / topic)

All the best, Frank.

• RMweb Gold

As usual the commentary is almost entirely about locomotive names and numbers. The railway infrastructure barely gets a mention. At 24mins 50 secs we see a lamp man climbing a lattice-post signal ladder carrying a lamp, but he doesn't get a mention. An important part of the traditional railway completely ignored.

Am I the only one who finds trains boring, but the stuff in the background fascinating?

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

I wouldn't go so far as boring, but I would like more attention on things other than the engines.

I was trying to look at the coaching stock etc but all to often the scene changes once the loco goes past.

But there are a few interesting gems there, such as the ex LMS 42' CCT being used for tail end baggage on one of the trains and the WR chocolate & cream MK1 BG that has obviously been stolen borrowed for use on the Belle as it closer matches the Pullman colour scheme.

Still, I enjoyed it and it gives someone like me, who is too young to have been around in steam days, an idea of what it was like back then.

• RMweb Gold

As usual the commentary is almost entirely about locomotive names and numbers. The railway infrastructure barely gets a mention. At 24mins 50 secs we see a lamp man climbing a lattice-post signal ladder carrying a lamp, but he doesn't get a mention. An important part of the traditional railway completely ignored.

Am I the only one who finds trains boring, but the stuff in the background fascinating?

Despite being a Southern chap, a former number-snatcher who later spent some time in a training establishment by Waterloo station when these steamers were in their last throes, I agree this is a "locospotters" film, and I found it made me doze off! This reflects the emphasis then and now on steam being the focus, with everything else being rather less important, especially as it wasn't "abolished" in the irrevocable way steam was. Sadly much of the backscene is also long gone, not to mention the coaching stock etc. The modern railway may or may not be fit for purpose - but it's certainly different!

Martin.

I agree, though, not so much with finding 'trains boring' ?, but, the prominence given to filming / photographing / commenting on, the loco, over what it is hauling.

Many a photographic album / book / film / video, focus on the loco, no-matter which railway is portrayed .There were / are rare exceptions though, more so in contemporary picture albums.

Other shots, in this film, which caught my eye, were the Waterloo departure's (1.38mins in) Guard, resplendent in his uniform, waving off his train, complete with whistle, also, the agility of the Driver / Fireman, (4.40 mins in)

Regards, Frank.

I wouldn't go so far as boring, but I would like more attention on things other than the engines.

I was trying to look at the coaching stock etc but all to often the scene changes once the loco goes past.

But there are a few interesting gems there, such as the ex LMS 42' CCT being used for tail end baggage on one of the trains and the WR chocolate & cream MK1 BG that has obviously been stolen borrowed for use on the Belle as it closer matches the Pullman colour scheme.

Still, I enjoyed it and it gives someone like me, who is too young to have been around in steam days, an idea of what it was like back then.

BR(S) coaching stock is also my main interest. If others cross the regional boundary, they also come under my scrutiny.

I'm still on the look-out for film / picture of an original Tavern Buttery / Kitchen Car , in Green livery, with the 'Pub sign' still in place*.

Interesting shot of a rare (only 4 built) Bulleid 64'-6" multi-door CK, down-graded to SK, 1.36mins in.

Also, to reinforce Coachmann's observations, notice how clean / glossy the coach sides are, in comparison with the (vast) majority of the locos

Regards, Frank.

* There is one, in Michael Welch's 'Southern Coaches in Colour'

A P.S.

One I spotted earlier on, but forgot to mention, is the Surbiton - Okehampton Car Carrier passing through Salisbury, complete with Green GUVs bearing day-glo coach boards, 28.48mins. in.

Archived