Stripping Farish Paint

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Hi all.

I'm after a little help/advice regarding stripping paint from Farish coaches. I had a browse through the forum reading up on the best way to remove paint and the most lauded method appeared to be Superstrip. Having aquired some, I left the body of a Farish BG submerged in a suitable container for the suggested 20 minutes and returned to find this was the result:

hmm-1.jpg

Whilst in some places the paint has come away, in others it hasn't, and it has also caused some strange scratch marks to appear (the body wasn't rubbed with anything after removal from the Superstrip, just washed in soapy water as suggested)Suffice to say this body is now a write-off!

If anyone has any thoughts on where things might have gone wrong, or if they have any other suggestions for removing paint from Farish coaches I'd be very interested to hear them. As this is the first time I've tried this I'm at a bit of a loss at the moment!

Many thanks,

Tom.

Tom, the plastic not being even in colour is normal, I presume it's either down to the moulding process or Superstrip draws out some colour. I tend to keep working it with an old toothbrush rather than just leaving it to soak. Might be worth a second dip and toothbrush scrub to see if it helps?

For what it's worth, I can't see any surface damage or paint build up in the photo, but that might just be down to the iPad screen resolution

jo

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jo. I'll try what you suggest! The iPhone pics don't show up the marks but they are there. I'll give it a coat of primer and see how much they show up.

Cheers,

Tom.

I've never had any problems with older Farish models and Phoenix Super strip, but I have always used the toothbrush method described by Jo. I suspect there might be residues of paint which have re-hardened in that pattern. Its also remarkable how plastics can look imperfect when stripped like this, but look fine with some primer. As Jo says, don't write it off yet!

There is a chance Farish might have changed the plastic recently to something less resistant. Update us with how you get on!

Justin

• RMweb Gold

I gave the coach above a quick blast with some Halfords grey primer:

hmm2-1.jpg

Unfortunately the marks are more than visible, and the body is beyond salvage. I would advise anyone thinking of using superstrip with the latest Farish models to test it out somewhere inconspicuous first!

I have since tried using Fairy Power Spray with much better results. Left for 24 hours to soak, it brought the factory finish clean off with the help of a little scrubbing, so I think in future this will be my go-to method for paint stripping. 3 coaches have since been done this way and there is no sign of any adverse effects on the plastic (and its cheaper!!)

Cheers all,

Tom.

Archived