Liveries for GWR 4-Wheeled coaches

VonRyan

Hi all,

Now that i have 4 assembled GWR 4-wheeled coaches, I need to be properly informed as to the liveries these coaches carried in the years between 1930-1945.

I figure for paint i'll be going with Phoenix Precision's GWR Coach Brown and Coach Cream, but for the roof i don't know what i need.

I also have no clue as to what and where i can order decals -or-, more preferably dry-transfers, for the various visual adornments on the coach sides.

My general time period is between 1930 and right on till the end of the Second World War in 1945.

If necessary i can backdate the livery on the coaches to before 1930 and just go as though they never saw a repaint, but i don't exactly have a clear notion as to how long the 4-wheelers saw regular or at least semi-regular service. Albeit my intentions are branchline service, with only one stop in each direction at the through-station on my N-Trak module, but i'd like them to look as prototypical, or at least feasible, as possible behind one of Dapol's new GWR panniers (of which will be my Christmas present) and since i have yet to order one, which livery would go best in my time period (say 1939-1940 for simplicity's sake) and coach livery that it would be seen with. (a bit more easier to match unpainted coaches to a pre-painted locomotive than the other way 'round)

The painting will probably be done by myself, either with P.P.'s spray cans or (if i get it cleaned up and working) a Badger "Beginner's Spray Gun Set" which is basically a mostly plastic, with metal working parts, single-action airbrush designed only to use Badger's own propellant cans. Very simplistic and for $15 with the fact that i'll get my money back if its unusable, I figure why not give it a shot and finally get myself an airbrush.

Thanks all for any help/advice/leads/sources that you may be able to offer. I greatly appreciate everyone's continued support as i try to stabilize my efforts at modelling the UK (or at least my select little section of it).

-Cody F.

The last use I can recall of a 4-wheeler set used on a branch was Malmesbury in 1933. Abingdon was still using a set in 1931. By the end of 1933, a lot of new B-sets and autotrailers had been produced, and they effectively spelt the end of the 4-wheeler, and I doubt many existed, apart from those allocated for workmens' trains (all brown, no lining) after 1935.

The Abingdon set was in standard post-1928 livery, and can be regarded as typical livery.

An alternative is to paint them all brown as a workmens train. From memory the coaches you have are the same diagrams as in a picture where they display this livery. I can't recall the book at this time but it's probable it is in one of the Russell volumes.

Regarding the pannier there were three liveries in the time period you are considering: lettered great western from 1922, followed by shirt button emblem, that preceeded lettering with the initials GWR. This site http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveries.html has livery information, and the rest of it is a good read if you weren't aware of it already.

An alternative is to paint them all brown as a workmens train. From memory the coaches you have are the same diagrams as in a picture where they display this livery. I can't recall the book at this time but it's probable it is in one of the Russell volumes...

Yes, Russell volume one has many photos of these, as well as other later departmental and camping coach uses. Most of these photos are from the late forties and include some of a miners' train at Treherbert in 1948 which was the prototype of the Ratio plastic kits. Great Western Way also has a 1930s photo of a couple of Holden coaches in a workers' train.

Nick

edit: to add yet another gwr.org.uk link to explain Holden coaches

Well, cream will have to work its way in there since the coaches are for passenger services. Now, of the panniers that Dapol is coming out with in N, which would work within my time period, in both freight and passenger service, and what is the appropriate coaching livery to go with it?

-Cody F.

Now, of the panniers that Dapol is coming out with in N, which would work within my time period

None of them, because all the Dapol variants announced so far have the 1942 top feed, but if you can live with that (or remove it), you'll probably want one of the Churchward-cabbed (introduced 1929) locos rather than the Collett-cabbed (introduced 1933) locos. According to the RMweb thread, Dapol's 'ND204B' is supposed to be a flush-rivetted tank 5764 with 'Great Western' on the sides, but the pic associated with it is a Collett-cabbed 6739, which was one of the goods-only locos. Suggest check for future announcements to see if the confusion is dispelled. There's nothing on the Dapol website.

Edit: Having checked the Dapol catalogue thread (above), Dapol has confirmed that ND204B will be 6739 with a Collett cab and a rivetted tank.

The last use I can recall of a 4-wheeler set used on a branch was Malmesbury in 1933. Abingdon was still using a set in 1931. By the end of 1933, a lot of new B-sets and autotrailers had been produced, and they effectively spelt the end of the 4-wheeler, and I doubt many existed, apart from those allocated for workmens' trains (all brown, no lining) after 1935.

The Abingdon set was in standard post-1928 livery, and can be regarded as typical livery.

not so, one lasted till 1950 on the Tanat line!

Archived