Which is the best Website Hoster?

I have been spurred on to create a website on the Chadderton Goods Branch, after replying to forums on this website.

The website will host my photo, history of loco workings, and hopefully gather in more information. I will also be using the site for my model railway which will be based on the train that worked the branch.

I have made a start on one web hosting site but I am unhappy whith their set up and additional fees to get the site into a search engine.

Does anyone have experience with their own or club website?

Can you suggest who to use or who to avoid?

I have made a start on one web hosting site but I am unhappy whith their set up and additional fees to get the site into a search engine.

If you're having to ask that question use wordpress.

Find out how http://codex.wordpress.org/Getting_Started_with_WordPress - but use the online version which is free.

https://wordpress.com/ and start - you don't have to publish immediately so you can see how it looks first. And search engines search wordpress - for free.

• RMweb Gold

You won't find a better host than Jim and Di at Data 1 Systems (RMweb's home before Warners took over).

About £3 per month (no vat, Jim's in Ohio) gets you a full feature package with email and cPanel. And instant attention to any problems, from the man with the toolbox himself.

https://data1systems.com

https://data1systems.com/client_area/

Martin.

I assume your ISP does not provide a webspace facility?

Can you write basic html, or are you looking for a 'ready-made' format, e.g Wordpress?

P.S. Never pay anyone 'to get the site into a search engine'.

I have never writen html so I'm guessing wordpress, which seems to be a popular template / ready made format.

I thought it was a bit dodgy when they required more money for search engines. I think my 30 days free trial with the current people will be over very shortly.

Is there any particular site that good for hosting and domain name registration, or do I just pick the cheapest of a web search?

Hello

I recently changed the current host of our club website, due changing my ISP.

I was recommend by a fellow club member to use Fasthost.

http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/

I found setup was easy and have both the website and domain name with them.

When I started the original club website more than 10 years ago I purchased a book, "Learn html in a week" which I found most helpful.

Thanks

SEEYA

ANT

Always register your domain name separate from any hosting. Many hosting companies will own the domain for you and then never release it (or charge a fortune to transfer it to you) locking you into there pricing.

Adding your domain to search engines is free and easy to do it yourself - a quick scan of the search engine of choice will show you how. The bigger problem is getting your listing to appear. Most search engines have very sophisticated rules that are used to place your domain high up their listing. Understanding these rules and how to get a search engine to identify your site is a skill in itself and this is what they are claiming to charge you for (or should be) most claim to and most don't.

Beware of having a host based abroad, as they may not have 24/7 support, and when they take servers down the time of day will be quietest for them, no you.

Wordpress should be fine for your needs and is easy to use. I've set up free Wordpress blogs and also ones using my own domains for online shops etc. There are plenty of templates which you can choose from and which will allow you to drop in photos, text, youtube footage, social plugins (facebook, twitter, etc.). You'll also find plenty of other plugins to play around with. From memory the free ones had "wordpress" as part of the domain address. Not ideal, but you can set up a site with very little hassle and no worries about hosting etc.

If you want to gather in more information from others then you'll be wise to consider allowing people to "comment" on your posts. Obviously you can moderate these before they appear.

You'll find an option which will allow search engine "robots" to enter your site, poke around and index you. Remember that you'll probably put some links to the site from your various postings on RMweb. That will also help people find it.

I'm guessing that this is going to be a hobby-type site rather than a fully-blown commercial one where lost sales are important? In which case don't get too hung up about up and down and 24/7 support. Remember, it's a hobby and the world carries on spinning even if the hard drive someplace doesn't for a wee while.

All the best, Andy

Archived