Bow-ended stock - roof handrails

Unfortunately, Comet doesn't make sides for all the variations:

E127(right hand) compo - none

D95(left hand) van third - none

One way to make these two from Comets is to buy the existing Comet sides, preferably the ones without a formed tumblehome, fill in the door grooves and handle holes with solder then form the tumblehome on the wrong side, basically using the sides back to front. Put in new door grooves.etc

The suggestion is based on the BSL production methods where the aluminium sides with windows etc stamped out, were put in the tumblehome press back to front to produce the RH version from the LH tooling.

Mike Wiltshire

I could also have mentioned that MTK (I think) did a kit for the C54 (and maybe others) which consisted of the sides and roof pre-formed (or should that be mis-formed) out of punched aluminum. I have one at home and it is not worth the effort to build.

Adrian

• RMweb Premium

I could also have mentioned that MTK (I think) did a kit for the C54 (and maybe others) which consisted of the sides and roof pre-formed (or should that be mis-formed) out of punched aluminum. I have one at home and it is not worth the effort to build.

Adrian

I tried to raise funds for a C54 once, managed £20, lack of interest!

Adrian

MTK produced several of this type (D94/5, E127, C54 & H33). Colin Massingham was selling job lots at the oll Harrogate show and I was blind sided and bougt some. The windows are too low in relation to the rain strip. As a complete train they matched but I replaced them with BSL/Phoenix as money allowed. Luckily I was able to buy enough for my 'master plan' before Ron Coleman at BSL died and it all passed to SRG.

In fairness to MTK Colin did produce some fairly accurate shells. The 1938 slip was spot on, and I built a train of mk 1 TPO's for a friend which I have not received complaints

Even further back Ratio produced some of them in wood!

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

These look like a quick and straightforward upgrade project then.Can you change the couplings easily on the recent releases .How easy would it be to carve off those curly handles and fit Comet etched ones I wonder. :O

I the assume the glazing is product SE58 on this list.

http://www.sefinecas...ndows Table.htm

Sorry for not following up on this post.

The coupling are the old integrally moulded type, so they need to be sawn off. I used a circular saw in Dremel-type tool at the same time that was cutting away the moulded corridor connections. Unfortunately just cutting off the couplings still leaves a deep and unrealistic rear frame to the bogie, which won't be a problem in the middle of a train but looks odd on the last coach. Some more cutting and tidying up would improve the look.

Yes, I used the SEF SE58 glazing sets.

I took a couple more shots in case they are of interest.

post-6720-0-21237400-1352239621.jpg

With the composite, in addition to repainting and relining, I used plastic filler to mask the join between the sides of the coach and the end moulding, which I think is quite a worthwhile improvement. I also filled the same gap on the roof. The only thing to watch, which is apparent in the second photo, is that repeated removal of the body from the chassis may cause the join to develop a crack, so it's best to do this once you are confident you won't have to take the body on and off too many times. I've now decided that I can't live the visible line on the brake (the first coach I did) so I'm going to selectively fill, repaint and reline the ends of that coach, and then touch up the compo at the same time.

This photo, in addition to showing the cracking on the compo, also shows the MJT corridor connections which work very well. Having spent a couple of evenings soldering up the ultra-fiddly working connections supplied by Slaters, I think I'll take the MJT route from now on.

post-6720-0-99677200-1352239644.jpg

Archived