Which Signals?

Hi,

I am looking to move onto buying some signals but lots of web searching has thrown up limited options, I want three and four aspect colour signals as realistic as possible for 80's/90's UK in OO.

I saw on heathcote and knightwings websites so signals that looked good and also had the ground aspect ones which are great for the depot and yard but just looking for advice from people and what they have gone for and why.

I would really prefer ready built but not afraid of trying kits if they provided a better option.

Also would like some yard floodlights but again finding them difficult to get hold of.

Thanks

Alex

I've earmarked Traintronics signals for my layout, when I eventually get that far. Having seen the range up close they look very good quality wise, and at around £25 they are reasonably priced.

There is also a great site that does yard lamps, it's the same company that supply lighting kits for engines but their name escapes me at the moment.

Mark

Hi,

Found the site for the yard light so thanks for that.

I have decided not have active lights, and as a result am trying to find anyone that does the ground signals (those little two aspect ones) I can only find the Eckon kits which of course are active, any help would be appreciated.

Alex

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Found the site for the yard light so thanks for that.

I have decided not have active lights, and as a result am trying to find anyone that does the ground signals (those little two aspect ones) I can only find the Eckon kits which of course are active, any help would be appreciated.

Alex

Have a look at the Knightwing range - they do some very nice dummy colour light signal kits http://www.knightwin...s&pid=182 http://www.knightwin...ng_Kits&pid=183

These would be correct for the period you are modelling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

These CR ground signals; are they suitable for late 60s and through 70s eras. If not, where can I find some that are suitable or is it a case of scratching?

Thanks, P @ 36E

Vaguely - depends on exact Region and precise detail of signals (which I've yet to get at in pics on the 'net). But do they only do 2 aspect?

CR signals list 3 versions, a red/green signal? A standard 3 light gpl suitable for 60s 70s available with red or yellow on aspects and a modern 4 light gpl. They look very nice in the pics.

If you can tell the difference between a GRS, SGE or Westinghouse version at that size good luck!

Keith

• RMweb Gold

The GPL is nearest in appearance to a Westinghouse head installed on a North Eastern Region base (the latter being easy to pick out, the former being notmuch different from the AEI-GRS version but very different from an SGE head.

Overall the running signals are something of a mish-mash of styles and fittings but I reckon they could reasonably easily be detailed and painted to represent most Region's standards of the 1980s. All Regions basically used similar/the same designs for new work by the late 1980s but a lot of much older stuff remained in use - and still does there being several signals in almost complete original 1960s condition in my neck of the woods on the GW mainline.

Archived