Newtown goods yard Huddersfield

Michael Delamar

• RMweb Gold

I have got some info somewhere but can't remember where. It was a magazine article and showed (amongst other things) a Class 40 on the last working to the yard. But, as so often, the photo concentrates on the loco more than the yard itself.

Operationally, perhaps a bit dull for a layout. There were no runround facilities and all trains were propelled from the junction with the LNW.

Amazingly for a minor line which has been closed for so long, the trackbed still shows up really well on Google Earth.

all trains were propelled from the junction with the LNW.

that will explain this photo which we where discussing in the mineral wagon thread.

2953633209_7a699db4c8_z.jpg?zz=1

Huddersfield:Newtown Branch.1963. by jb303, on Flickr

I like the blue brick cutting and bridges along the line, it is the same as the Midlands Langton branch in Bootle which I have a keen interest in.

• RMweb Gold

I will have to see what I have done with that magazine. At least one move of house since I bought it. I was considering a layout based on Huddersfield Midland and, indeed, submitted it to N Gauge Society Journal for their "layout on a door" competition.

• RMweb Gold

Given the mention of the gasworks being supplied by this branch, it would explain the nature of the load as well. To my eyes, that coal is too fine for domestic use, or for most industrial boilers, but would be ideal for coking and gas production.

I think you need big lumps for gasworks and coking Brian, finer coal for boilers feeding generators.

Mike.

Archived