Embedding YouTube Videos?

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere. I have searched but cannot find anything definitive:

I've a notion to film a series of sessions of me building a 4mm OO gauge kettle in order for folk to see how easy it really is. As far as I know the best place to post them is YouTube and I was wondering if it would be acceptable for me to embed these videos into an RMWeb thread?

I have also thought about doing a live stream build and wonder whether RMWeb would be prepared to host it?

Regards

John A

• RMweb Gold
Videos are easy to do

At present on RMweb IPB is embedding videos as a Flash object. Which is not supported in IE10 on the default "not Metro" version of Windows8. To see the videos users of Windows8 need to change to the "desktop" version, or else use Firefox or another browser other than IE. Flash is also not supported on Apple devices.

The intention is that YouTube videos should now be embedded as an iframed web page. YouTube can then stream the video in a format appropriate for the user (MP4, OGG, WEBM) or fall back to Flash format for older browsers which don't support HTML5 video.

Presumably the IPB media embedding will be upgrading to iframes in a future upgrade. Until then, more and more users will be unable to see the existing Flash videos in RMweb topics.

Martin.

The area of video embedding is currently a bit of a mess, since many older browser do not support iframe, and no modern browsers support html5 seamless iframe, although there are some CSS and script kludges that will get round the problem. I think it will be a long time before flash support disappears from modern browsers, and my understanding is that IE10 Metro will support a flash object.

• RMweb Gold
I think it will be a long time before flash support disappears from modern browsers, and my understanding is that IE10 Metro will support a flash object.

Well, yes. And no. And maybe. As usual getting definitive information from Microsoft is next to impossible. It seems IE10/Metro may support Flash, bit only if it comes from a web site pre-approved by Microsoft, or until yet another Windows update changes everything again:

http://www.geek.com/articles/news/ie10-in-windows-8-mode-strictly-limits-flash-just-like-microsoft-said-it-would-20121011/

Martin.

Archived