Minimum radius in N

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone give me a steer on the minimum curve radius (the curves will be hidden) that I can use in N that is compatible with putting proper sized wheels on the front bogies of steam locos? I am thinking particularly of the Bachmann/Farish City/Duchess but it may apply to other locos as well.

Might well be something of a 'how long is a piece of string' question. In OO, using wheels the right diameter over the flanges - not the tyres - then there is typically no bother at 36 inch radius; models of the longest prototypes with big overhangs, and cylinders and steps in the way of swinging bogies and trucks, can be got to work - with a little cunning and modification - down to 24 inch radius, . So in N that should correspond to 18"/12" radii. But that makes no allowance for factors like constructional differences between the scales, different tyre proportions, how 'loose' the chassis starts out.

Traditionally the manufacturers have said radius 1 curves (ie 9inches) is the minimum for their locos. I think for some newer locos they now say radius 2 - 10.5inch. Some locos like the Farish Jubilee have accessory parts such as different bogies if using gently curves.

It's generally the long wheel base steam locos that struggle with tight curves, tank engines and articulated diesels manage much better. I have 9inch curves on my layout and all the diesels (largest a 47) and the Ixion Manor (4-6-0) are fine

• RMweb Gold

Trying to scale down OO min radius doesn't really work as the construction of the chassis could/will be very different.

Farish specify minimum radius of 10.5 inches IIRC on some of their recent releases. 12 inches IIRC is given for the larger wheels on the front bogie.

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Premium

Go for 12 inches + and you will be fine.

At the moment I would suggest holding off purchasing a Duchess as Farish are bringing out an updated version. If you have one at the moment now might even be the time to sell it on. Some versions are going for silly money on ebay at the moment.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, guys.

No, I have not got one yet. Those silly little bogie wheels have put me right off buying one so far. I know the old model is not great but wouldn't it be better for Bachmann to do a Lizzie which has not been done before in RTR?

I was just wanting to check how low a radius I could use as about to do some serious trackplan drawing for Tamworth.

Archived