Lion kit in 4mm scale?

I seem to recall a few years ago that there was a 4mm scale kit for the Liverpool & Manchester's Lion. Being quite a fan of the prototype, it appears both K's and IKB made kits of it. Are either available from different manufacturers?

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

It was the same kit, the original being of the K's Milestone range. I have one squirrelled away (I love Titfield Thunderbolt!) but it took me a while to find it. They used to be available from Key Kits but they seem to have shut up shop and I have no idea where the moulds went. Perhaps our learned RMWEB friends can be of more help.

Try and get one of these later releases if possible as the were updates to the chassis and other bits.

All the best,

Castle

I built the K's kit for a friend back in the 1980s, and have a horrible familiarity with it! Some memories just don't fade!

Although it was a 'Milestone' kit, it doesn't actually show Lion as it was built, but rather in its Titfield Thunderbolt guise. The original had a plain arched firebox - the smart brass haycock was an LMS invention, and actually just sits on top of the real firebox - the chimney is completely fictional in form, and the tender was also just dreamt up in the Crewe Drawing Office.

Add to that the ghastly K's motor, the obligatory wobbly wheels, and the fact that the motor was very visible under the boiler, and you'll see why I then ended up scratch-building a 'proper' one for him - which was Tiger, Lion's original twin!

Given that description, I might end up scratchbuilding one myself. I'm not in need of a 100% accurate model to Lion, but as long as it's passable it suits me. Is there a difference between the K's Milestones version and the IKB release?

http://www.lionlocomotive.org.uk/drawings.html

I've found a website selling (what I believe are) 7 1/4 inch scale drawings, so I'll be able to scale these down and make something semi decent. I'm used to working with plans, so it'll be the easy part of the build.

That's the plan at least!

Johnny

Hi Johnny,

The later release came with an updated frames motor and gearbox, Romford wheels and so on and was a lot better (although far from perfect - the moulds were pretty tired!) than the Ks original. Key Kits also offered etched name plates too.

Despite having the kit, I will only use it for certain parts and will scratchbuild the rest.

All the best,

Castle

Archived