Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Limited editions and aftercare

Mornin all just had a class 14 model breakdown on me so contacted the shop where i got it and as it was out of guarantee they suggested I return it to the manufacturer which i duly did (,cue expensive overseas parcel) three weeks later parcel returned with note we do not keep spares for this model as it was a limited edition for this particular customer ! So back to the shop again ,as we have sold out of this model and we have no spares so we suggest you contact the local repair agent for this manufacturer who might be able to help ,so phone call to repair agent who have kindly offered to have a look at the loco ,but have said to me as they are limited editions we don't have any spares ! moral of this tale ... don't buy your limited editions to use! when they break just like the BR prototypes unless there is manufacturers back up then they are shelf queens or even worse scrap !!! Merv ... hopefully waiting for a positive outcome!

I'm not familiar with his model (either standard or limited edition), but I'm wondering what is mechanically different about this limited edition? Normally a limited edition is just a livery change, so can you not use a standard model to repair this?

Presumably an N gauge model, as the OO versions are still on sale at Hattons?

I plan for DIY mechanism repair on any class of loco that I definitely want to keep operable. Look around for the well discounted unpopular livery version, or a good s/h offer; flog bodies and the like (if they are not of use for parts or other modelling) to bring the cost down further, stash the parts. (Every model you do this for is of course then a paragon of reliability.)

When I contacted hattons and they told me as the model was no longer available ? so they couldn't offer me a replacement ! it was out of warranty , and they don't keep any spares , If I had bought a Hornby Loco or a Bachmann, then they produce such volumes that spares are not a problem ,but the difficulty seems to lie in the fact that this was a limited run of a specific prototype for a retailer so there is not going to be the spares back up that the mainline manufacturers offer. To answer the question of whats wrong, it seems to be a split gear problem had quite a few on my N gauge stuff but this is the first in 00 I have had ! hopefully those nice people in Oxford can sort it out !!!... Will let you know how I get on.

Yes i hope they do ,must say though I have had some good feedback from other stuff that i have bought from hattons but this time I am disappointed especially as they told me they didn't have any replacements and yet they are still selling them on their website , Don't think i will be ordering the Garratt after this debacle ! ......

Archived