Important warning message

• RMweb Gold

I'm not sure if this applies only to Andy / Dediserve, or to all members.

Jim at Data 1 Systems in Ohio (RMweb's former hosting provider) has just posted this message to all his customers:

--------------------

The scammers have reached an all time low.

If you are running an Invision Power Board (IPB) on your web space and receive an e-mail about a security patch you should apply DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK. As if you are not unfortunate enough to have to deal with an IPB, if you are unfortunate enough to be running Windows and click on the link you now have a nasty virus.

If you still worry then close the e-mail and go to your IPB client area. Any real threats will be posted there, except for the extreme amount of resources you are sucking from your host by using IPB in the first place.

The opinions expressed are my own and from a great amount of experience.

I suppose it was only a matter of time before spammers/scammers started targetting people using various forum software, there's probably similar emails around for more widely used software such as phpBB or Vbulletin.

I've not had any such emails but if it was received recently it's unfortunate timing as there was a legitimate security update just over a week or so ago - http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/371625-ipboard-31x-32x-and-33x-critical-security-update/ which I received notification of via my Admin area and it is a legitimate page/download.

Archived