If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

One More

Guest Linthorpe

Guest Linthorpe

Hello one and all.

I am afraid that I cannot dazzle you all with a glossy railway CV. Apart from the ubiquitous boyhood trainset, I did however, build a fold down baseboard for my eldest son when he was a teenager. Since then I have drifted in and out of attempting to build my own railway with varying degrees of incompleteness.

I do now though find myself in the position to have a serious attempt at building a reasonably sized layout.

I have already acquired a reasonable amount of kit so all that is holding me back is my own indecision of what exactly to build.

Based upon what I already have, it will definitely be set in the 1980's and as I am no longer the breadwinner in our household I think that I will have to use cheap and cheerful 1980's techniques.

I have already found an absolute tome of inspiration on here and look forward to digesting tons more.

Cheers

Don't forget there were some really great models in the 80s and some people did some very impressive stuff. Recycling is the key to keeping costs down, like the old one about using guitar strings for loco brake pipes. If you want to do some weathering if you have a root around here you can find advice on using everyday stuff like hairspray and talc for weathering purposes for example, experimentation is the key!

There is also a rule about all new members buying all members called Boris a beer and now seems like a good time to mention it.....

Guest Linthorpe
There is also a rule about all new members buying all members called Boris a beer and now seems like a good time to mention it.....

Ha Ha, I had seen that on someone else's welcome thread, along with a reply from a Mod. But as you have provided a useful snippet of information I will put one in the virtual barrel for you :smile_mini2:

Welcome to the site, i'm in the same sort of situation being a student means lots of saving and trying to find space has been a problem also. The guys here are friendly and the site is full of info!

from a fellow newbie

Jack

• RMweb Premium

Hi there

Welcome aboard - as you've seen already we're a friendly bunch here, and many of the members hiding behind their webnames are exceptional modellers whose work has featured in the monthlies, and to get advice from them free and willingly, is a major reason for joining up.

ps Don't let Boris con you out of any e-beer - he's actually on the e-waggon.

Regards

Stewart

Hi Stewart,

What diagram is the e- wagon? Was it built at Swindon? Here is a possible opportunity for hilarity - what is its telegraphic code name? my suggestion:

Cold Turkey

I'll get my coat...

All the best,

Castle

Guest Linthorpe

Thanks for the welcome folks,

I have been down most of the big corridors but there are still plenty of dark corners to explore. I am already finding that I am spending too much time here wandering around :scratchhead:

I think you will find that the virtual supposed rule that only exists in your head that you keep repetitively peddling has now been updated to state that Boris buys the new member a beer every time it is mentioned it again!

PS welcome Linthorpe and feel free to ignore Boris!

Welcome Linthorpe, as I'm sure you already know this is a great place to hang out.

I too have a limited railway vocabulary and my budget is not too dissimilar to yours. I and many others found this thread to be inspirational and informative. Dig in!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60731-the-100-project-%E2%80%93-a-complete-layout-build-described-in-9-days/

Steve

Welcome Linthorpe, as I'm sure you already know this is a great place to hang out.

I too have a limited railway vocabulary and my budget is not too dissimilar to yours. I and many others found this thread to be inspirational and informative. Dig in!

http://www.rmweb.co....ibed-in-9-days/

Steve

Ahh, well you only need 3 words on a railway

####### = slightly broken

###### = repairably broken

###### = totally shot.

I learnt that on day one, and its true!

Guest Linthorpe

Steve, the 9 day £100 thread was one of the first I noticed and is certainly a good read.

Boris, your three phrases sound like a night out: A couple of beers, a few beers & a lot of beer, by the way as it's your third visit it's your round now.

Steve, the 9 day £100 thread was one of the first I noticed and is certainly a good read.

Boris, your three phrases sound like a night out: A couple of beers, a few beers & a lot of beer, by the way as it's your third visit it's your round now.

Yes, I can, with great authority state that I am indeed getting very round.

Archived