T Gauge initiation - the painful questions...

The White Rabbit

• RMweb Premium

I'm thinking about a T-Gauge layout - I've plenty of experience in 4mm scale - and whilst I'm confident about the scenics etc., I am rather concerned about how well it runs and the issue of baseboard joints. I don't want to have a shunting layout but there would be a little shunting/remarshalling of trains, so I need a motor/chassis/controller that doesn't need to run at a scale 50mph to work.

The other major concern is baseboard joints - if this layout gets built it has to be a portable and I would have at least three boards/two joints and given the size of the tolerances, I have severe misgivings over how well the track joints would stand up to the constant connection/disconnections. I'm also worried about the alignment of the rails. Has anyone any experience of this?

Had a dabble with it earlier this year as Gaugemaster had various bits on sale. Running not particularly brillant but it seems to be developing quickly. There have been two mechanisms and whilst the second is an improvement on the first it is apparently posible to rebuild the first with proper worm and gear. Also a new controller offers better control, have a look at www.t.gauge.net/forum3/

Interesting discussion; I am considering a dabble, particularly having seen the new starter sets from tgauge.com, but £150 is a large amount to shell out on something that may not grab me. If I do, will go for a prototype location, a chice which I have never explored before.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info Butler Henderson, I've joined the T Gauge forum and asked a few questions. I was wondering about a piece of track to connect two boards. That would work best if I can separate out the three scenes a-la Ian Rice, with proscenium arches etc. - quite possible. I think I'll just have to have a dabble... From the above and other threads on the T Gauge forum, I could well be breaking new ground...ah well, someone has to be first! I'll post news as and when I've summat sensible to say/report.

Archived