Replacing 1.5v Bulbs on Athearn Locos with LEDS

Parthia27

I'm now at the stage where I want to replace all the 1.5v bulbs on my Athearn Genesis BN ex Frisco GP15-1 (Headlights, Rotary Beacon, and Gyralight) and RTR BN ex Frisco SW1500 (Headlights and Rotary Beacon). My preference is to go for LEDs as they are in essence a 'fit and forget' option.

If others on the forum have replaced bulbs with LEDs on their locos would they care to share their experiences, suppliers used, difficulties encountered, fitting methods etc.

Most locos I have detailed, weathered and DCC'd in the past have been either BR Blue or Green from the 70s and 80s where IMR you could never seer lights on locos except at dusk or in the dark.

I will be most grateful for any advice given on this subject, I think I know the theory (famous last words......), but it is not an area I have tackled or thought about before.

Cheers

Chris M

The Athearn 1.5v bulbs usually have the lifespan of a fruit fly. I replace them with Miniatronics 1.5 volt 15 mA . The Miniatronics bulbs are much higher quality and last much longer - haven't had to change one out again in the several years I've been using them. I've used LEDs on models that have had lenses and put the LED in a tube behind the lenses with good results. I understand you can fit the surface mount LEDs in the lamp bores on the cab/body but I've not tried it. And honestly, most of the time an incandescent bulb looks more like an incandescent headlamp than any LEDs will.

The Athearn 1.5v bulbs usually have the lifespan of a fruit fly. I replace them with Miniatronics 1.5 volt 15 mA . The Miniatronics bulbs are much higher quality and last much longer - haven't had to change one out again in the several years I've been using them. I've used LEDs on models that have had lenses and put the LED in a tube behind the lenses with good results. I understand you can fit the surface mount LEDs in the lamp bores on the cab/body but I've not tried it. And honestly, most of the time an incandescent bulb looks more like an incandescent headlamp than any LEDs will.

Thanks for the advice Craig, I'll look to see if I can source the Minatronics Bulbs in the UK and see how I get on with them.

Cheers

ChrisM

Archived