Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Magazine OO Gauge Brake Tender

DapolDave

• RMweb Premium

The item quoted by Cloggydog from Hornby magazine relates to new information, in that they showed the first photos of the first engineering samples. They also advise that further work is to be done on the brakes and rivet detail on parts of the body. The photos are only partly helpful, as again the sides are only showing at a 45 degree angle, so impossible to judge the length. Mike Wild did state in the article, that further photos of the EP sample and a video of it on a layout could be seen on the hornbymagazine.com website, however I couldn't find these when I looked yesterday.

Hi rembrow

I couldn't find the pictures either. If someone does lets us know please.

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  All    A little bird told me that perhaps all is not lost and more work is being done on the design by someone new, so although the model will probably be

delayed further it may be worth the wait. Alas I don't think it will revert to being a dia 556 unless it is found to be a way of reducing the costs incurred by

yet another redesign if available LMS bogies are used .          Regards all  adrianbs

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

Nobody seems to have commented on the preporduction model as shown in the Hornby magazine. It looks like the last set of CAD drawings. In the magazine they do comment that there will be some modifications to the tooling.

It is difficult to tell how accurate the tooling is from the three photos in the magazine. They do say have a look on the website for more photos and a video ......I did last week couldn't find a thing.

Hi All   Also interesting as it appears to show the side panels to be more or less straight with a bend at the bottom rather than a curve tightening over the

solebars.  Also has a full set of steps which only seems to have been seen on those 3 DBTs perhaps and maybe some were removed later. adrianbs

Hi  All,   Can anybody add the pictures in the Feb. H/M to this site, I am not going to buy it but, if it is not copyright, it would be useful to see the pictures.

Otherwise I will have to ask a little bird to email them to me.      adrianbs

Hi  All,   Can anybody add the pictures in the Feb. H/M to this site, I am not going to buy it but, if it is not copyright, it would be useful to see the pictures.

Otherwise I will have to ask a little bird to email them to me.      adrianbs

Adrian 

This would infringe on copyright and no such images should be posted here. 

• RMweb Premium

I wonder if it was because Standard built 029 that accounts for the different rake to the ends???

P

If it were the only DBT they built, I'd be inclined to agree... but...

Standard's '029 and Marcroft's '030 were both part-lots (3444 and 3445 respectively), the remainder of which were long body, LMS-bogies ones:

Lot 3444, Standard Wagon Co 1962 B964020-28, Long w/flat sides/LMS

Lot 3444 Standard Wagon Co 1962 B964029 Short w/flat sides LMS

Lot 3445 Marcroft 1962 B964030 Short w/flat sides/LMS (increased slope to end panels)

Lot 3445 Marcroft 1962 B964031-034 Long w/flat sides/LMS

So why were those 2 (B964029/30) built with the shorter 1/557 body, non-standard in it's flat sides and by 2 builders, both concurrently building others to a consistent design (1/556) ??

I suppose one logical possibility is that the donor coaches had either non-standard underframes (different diagram?) or were otherwise different (accident damage?)

Edited by CloggyDeux

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi  All    I have had a chance to see the pictures of the prepro/EP brake tender in the Hornby Magazine and as Clive says in post 183 the model

does appear to be the same as the last CADs with all the ghastly mistakes still present apart from what looks like a 3D printed brakeshoe unit

quite different to the originals.

The pictures are not that fantastic but all the body and bogie errors seem to have been incorporated and the model seems to sit very high on

the bogies as well. The only improvement may be the body length is now a 555 assuming the dimensions have been corrected but I can't

tell that from photos anyway.

I had no time whilst talking to RW at the Kettering GOG show about progress on the DBT. I was more concerned about the errors on the Dapol

7mm SR brakevan. As It appears that all the EP bogie tooling will have to be scrapped I would still think a 556 might be the cheap way out. I am

not sure if the EP tooling is proper dies or if it is perhaps just 3D prints which are relatively cheap.  It still seems to me to be a very expensive

process to produce a complete model prototype with so many obvious errors. 

I sometimes bin bits of patterns when something goes wrong or I find I am up against a brick wall to proceed and need a rethink.  I have never

had to start again on a completed model apart from some where patterns were supplied by someone else or I have bought them in.

I am beginning to see where the high price of this model may even have to go higher or the profit margin will disappear.

Keep your fingers crossed the tooling money has not run out yet !!    regards  adrianbs

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

B964120 1970s colour:

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p265322570/h17c862c2#h17c862c2

A search for "brake tender" finds a few more, including this cracker:

http://www.rail-online.co.uk/p766079789/h9d3a5fc#h9d3a5fc

Also:

A number in store (?) at Adsley shed and a straight sided/LMS bogied one (I think?) in this Blurb book preview:

http://www.blurb.com/books/980708-on-further-reflection

About page 7 or thereabouts.

From this page:

http://fullsun.webplus.net/page9.html

Photographer (Keith Sanders) also has this Flickr site, so may be willing to upload pics on there:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/railcam

He is on the scot-rail.co.uk forum as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi  All,  Hate to have to say this at such a late stage but I have just discovered my official drawing of the brake tender body at the back of my cabinet.  I thought it was one of the drawings that had been thrown out because it had faded to invisible.  It gives all the main dimensions etc but I am not sure it indicates the panel lines just the structure holding the panels in place. .It will be difficult to copy as it is about 6ft by 2ft 6ins, almost 1/4 scale. It is the 555 diagram and was what I used for my original patterns. I shall really be able to compare the model, when it appears, with the real thing now. Pity I had not been approached at the start, I might have found it in time to be of use. I assume neither MIike Wild  nor RW were using an official GA.   I wonder if the guys on the GC had found a copy for their full size replica.

Regards  adrianbs

Edited by adrianbs

Evening All,

The tooling work for the diesel brake tender is underway as I type and the model is moving forwards. We (Hornby Magazine) are also now taking pre-orders for the brake tender which will be released in four liveries. The anticipated release date is May 2014 at present.

Cheers,

Mike

I wondered if an update could be given by Mike Wild, as to the current anticipated release date please.

Hi All   As far as I am aware the redesign work is now with Dapol and Richard Webster and I had hoped we would see how things were progressing.  Now that they have the information they were looking for to modify the bogies there will clearly be quite a lot of work involved, especially if they believe that a really accurate bogie might give them an opportunity to sell them as upgrades to other models.   It would also enable them to produce a few of the missing LNER coach types although most have now been covered by Bachmann and Hornby. The "Shorty" corridor coaches,  52' 6" long, have not been done and with the GE locos appearing soon these would be very useful and to a lesser extent the attractive green & cream Tourist stock.,These mainly used the lightweight bogie but alas, my favourites, the  "Quads" and "Quints"  essential for an N2 or N7 all used the heavyweight bogie, not available on an RTR model, even the Hornby Buffet unless they have recently upgraded it.

Regards all adrianbs

• 2 weeks later...

Hi  All    Nice views 26power, they both seem to be 556s though !!    Having found the GA for the 555 I find it states that the donor coaches were the "Shorty" ones 52' 6" long but this still means the headstock would have been moved back by about 18" so that it was more or less in line with the outer end of the bogie.   I wonder if the opportunity will be taken to add a second coupler pocket to the inner end so that standard couplers could be fitted for the bogies to be used on normal coaching stock. The DBT will need the couplers buried well into the end of the bogie to maintain the normal position relative to the buffer faces.  This would not have been a problem on the 556s as the underframes do not seem to have been shortened at the outer end and "normal" LMS bogies would probably have worked without problems.     Regards  all  adrianbs

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

News about the progress of the brake tender has gone very quiet.

I suppose it is suffering the same delays as everything else these days.

Bob

Hi Bob

I had a chat with Mike at the GCR show and he says they are waiting for the revised preproduction sample to be delivered to them.