BR K1 Liveries?

I would be very grateful for any advice re the livery options I have for the 4mm BR (LNER designed) K1 I am currently building.

70 of the loco's were built by the NBLC for BR (1949-1950) and as far as I can tell all were outshopped in BR Black Mixed Traffic. Unfortunately for me I find BR MT lining very difficult to do as is has three colours and you cannot get 4mm transfers as far as I know.

My question is whether all 70 carried this lined livery for the whole of their lives or whether I have any other livery options for, say, late BR for some of the class?. I am hoping that one or two might have worn plain unlined black for instance! I cannot find any info on the web.

Thanks very much for any replies.

John A

I would be very grateful for any advice re the livery options I have for the 4mm BR (LNER designed) K1 I am currently building.

70 of the loco's were built by the NBLC for BR (1949-1950) and as far as I can tell all were outshopped in BR Black Mixed Traffic. Unfortunately for me I find BR MT lining very difficult to do as is has three colours and you cannot get 4mm transfers as far as I know.

My question is whether all 70 carried this lined livery for the whole of their lives or whether I have any other livery options for, say, late BR for some of the class?. I am hoping that one or two might have worn plain unlined black for instance! I cannot find any info on the web.

Thanks very much for any replies.

John A

John,

I can't help with advice on K1 liveries but I think you are correct regarding the transfers available. The livery was based on the LNWR livery and the only way to do the grey/cream/red seems be be as per Ian Rathbones description in his WSP book on painting and lining.

That's beyond my ability, so I stick with red/grey transfers (or send the model to Ian for painting and lining).

Jol

John,

I can't help with advice on K1 liveries but I think you are correct regarding the transfers available. The livery was based on the LNWR livery and the only way to do the grey/cream/red seems be be as per Ian Rathbones description in his WSP book on painting and lining.

That's beyond my ability, so I stick with red/grey transfers (or send the model to Ian for painting and lining).

Jol

Thanks Jol. I have decided to grasp the nettle and try to line it BR MT.

John A

• RMweb Premium

If you can get them the Mixed Traffic Lining is on an HMRS transfer sheet (sheet 22) or from Modelmaster (ref 4000).

If you are handlining be careful with the grey you use if you intend to add the cream line as it needs to be altered to look right. The cream stands out a lot when the "correct" shade of grey is used

Archived