Inexpensive Back-ground Flats Buildings

shortliner

Maybe I'm getting old, but $40.00 a square foot doesn't jibe as inexpensive compared with the old rescued cardboard and brick paper times of my youth. I can't imagine even the "de-luxe" version of that method by using Slater's Plastikard (e.g. Quai:87) coming out anywhere near that expensive either. And the fashionable trend of dozens of small outfits using their home laser cutting machines for building sides and brick sheets are asking much the same prices.

Am I the only one who is astounded that a kit single building with four walls and a roof now costs as much as moderate diesel loco? (metal chassis, wheels, motor, gears and all).

Ted

You obviously haven't looked at the price of Walthers Cornerstone buildings recently - and I think you'll find that the price of most modern diesel locos will make your eyes water depending on the amount of detail you expect :O . Then start adding shipping, vat, customs charges and the "Fee" for collecting it, and you begin to cry! :cry:

A very good option for background flats is KingMill http://www.kingmill....ex.php?cPath=21 these are made from enhanced photos and printed on heavy paper. At US$ 6.00 per sheet (which may include multiple buildings), these are very reasonable. Inspired by some very good work by guys on the Big Blue forum, I've been adding them to my layout:

post-8839-0-20577700-1352566253.jpg

The one on the far left was kitbashed from a Pola N enginehouse kit; the one on the far right is a Walthers. The four in the middle are KingMill installed on illustration board.

Maybe I'm getting old, but $40.00 a square foot doesn't jibe as inexpensive compared with the old rescued cardboard and brick paper times of my youth. I can't imagine even the "de-luxe" version of that method by using Slater's Plastikard (e.g. Quai:87) coming out anywhere near that expensive either. And the fashionable trend of dozens of small outfits using their home laser cutting machines for building sides and brick sheets are asking much the same prices.

Am I the only one who is astounded that a kit single building with four walls and a roof now costs as much as moderate diesel loco? (metal chassis, wheels, motor, gears and all).

Ted

Remember there are lots of people who struggle to build buildings of that size from scratch, then there is detailing, then there's the painting, then there's the weathering. That will take more time than those flats.

Those are large buildings, you take all those windows and ask Tichy trains for window frames and doors for a project that size, then numerous sheets of slaters card (look at the detailing along the roof, down pipes, glazing, paint, the wood sheet or foamboard to build the backing, you wont get change for $40 - £25

Thats one of the reasons i tried building mine out of card,think it cost me the price of one Walthers to build all the buildings on "59th and Rust".

I like the challenge of building my own,some people like to buy them ready made or Walthers kits but i wanted to try and get away from that "Walthers city look",i don't think th've come out to bad.everyone to there own!

Ray

Archived