Current Rulebook Help

• RMweb Gold

They shouldn't be shunted with staff working onboard (unless some sort of amendment or Local Instruction says to the contrary) but if they are shunted with staff onboard they should be braked.

(BTW It does rather depend what the staff are doing - there is no problem shunting braked stock with staff travelling onboard; the problem comes if the staff are working, in which case I would be asking why they have not put 'Not To Be Moved' boards on the stock or why they haven't implemented whatever the depot's staff protection arrangements are).

Hi

Even on units, once staff have take down their "not to be moved" board can stay on the train for the movement, mind you, all the movements are "fully braked".

It is nice to know if someone is on the train for the shunt so you don't try a "spirited" 10-0mph dropped handled stop! Unless you want buckets and mops sliding up to the internal cab door!

Jim

Slightly off topic but, I remember I took a 4CEP into a yard after terminating at the station.

I was perhaps a touch over the 10mph reception road speed moving up to the 4car mark - no data recorders then, dropped the handle and to my horror, some woman flew past me straight into the headcode box!

She gathered herself up, as if it were an every day occurrence and asked "this is right train for Canterbury?"

Oops!

I had to take the train back into the station to drop her off, then a small word with the platform staff about checking the trains a little more thoroughly...

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Presumably in the OP's incident, someone was in charge of the move - and authorised the driver to proceed. If so, then that person should have advised the driver of the presence of staff on board, surely?

Exactly so Ian - looks to me very much a case of 'if we're going to do something incorrectly we needn't bother to correctly do anything else associated with it', not of course that it is actually expressed like that. Very 'old railway' attitude I'm afraid but hardly what I would expect in this modern age of an amazing emphasis on safety although I do wonder if a large part of that emphasis is more about box-ticking and managerial back-covering than it is about proper safety culture in the way people are trained to think and work.

Not being that up on air braked stock so forgive if it's a stupid question.. Don't the brakes hold up on their own without a loco attached? In which case wouldn't it be easier to connect the brakes up to for the loco to release them than walk the train releasing each coach individually?

Archived